RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

60GB drive enough for win media center?

eagle63

Hey guys, I'm building a new HTPC and could pick up a 60GB SSD drive for cheap from a friend. Here's my question: keeping in mind that I will connect my HTPC to my WHS v1 and use the "archive recordings" feature, is a 60GB drive big enough? I figure windows itself will take around 20GB, leaving me with almost 40GB as a temporary holding spot for recordings until they get moved to the home server. Is anyone else doing anything similar? Using my previous HTPC as a gauge, it seems as though the archive service is pretty quick about moving recordings to the server. Even so, I'm nervous that I might be cutting it a little close. Thanks for any feedback,

For the past 11months I have been running my Win7 64 bit HTPC on two 30GB OCZ SSDs in raid 0, which comes out to about 60GB total. I have experienced Zero problems so far.

I am spreading out my large Data File folders to larger spinning disc hard drives and my WHS to pull this off.

On my HTPC in addition to the two 30 GB SSDs in raid 0 I use two WD Caviar Black 640GB drives in Raid 0 for my Recorded TV folder.

The rest of my Media files are stored on my WHS.

As long as you dedicate some larger size spinning disc hard drives for your Data and just keep your SSD locked into your OS and Programs you should have no problem.

You will be Amazed at what an SSD will do for the UI in 7MC!! Mine is Blazing Fast!

Good Luck! :D

As long as you dedicate some larger size spinning disc hard drives for your Data and just keep your SSD locked into your OS and Programs you should have no problem.

You will be Amazed at what an SSD will do for the UI in 7MC!! Mine is Blazing Fast!

Good Luck! :D

Thanks, actually my intent was to ONLY use the 60gb SSD in this box, no other drives. So it would hold the OS plus recordings. (until the recordings get swept to the home server)

Thanks, actually my intent was to ONLY use the 60gb SSD in this box, no other drives. So it would hold the OS plus recordings. (until the recordings get swept to the home server)

That is exactly what I use...I have no storage on my HTPC...just the OS and software to run my hi-def movies. Startup is fast and the HTPC is quiet.

By off loading your recorded TV to your WHS you should be fine with just the SSD and no spinning discs in your box

In my particular use case, I just found that having the two WD 640 Black drives in Raid 0 worked out better.

With multiple tuners,I record a lot of TV and also run Show Analyzer to skip commercials on everything. I just felt it would put too much pressure on my SSD raid.

Plus with my SSD capacity being below 60GB, and the fact that I commonly record multiple HD shows simultaneously, I thought the capacity would be an issue.

I have a 30 gig SSD in my HTPC and used only that for a month. The problem was that any OTA HD recording over an hour wouldn't fit and the recording would fail. (I missed some SNL). I decided to add a 500gig spinning disc drive to the machine and put the recorded TV folder there. Now, the drive spins up to make a recording and transfer it to the server, then spins down. I think it's a pretty good solution.

Your 60 gig SSD should be better, but you'll find out pretty soon if you are missing recordings due to space issues.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think I may see if I can find a deal on an 80Gb SSD instead. I think that should leave me with a little extra headroom for those cases where I might be recording 2 or 3 shows at the same time. Also, I should mention that my desire to use an SSD for this build is not just the speed factor, but also power consumption. My goal is to get this thing to draw less than 30 watts when idle, and using an SSD will certainly shave off some power as opposed to a spinning drive.