RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

A Xeon E3-1285 V4 Question

My Plex server has the following relevant specs:

i5-4570 CPU
Z97-D3H Board
32GB DDR3
1050Ti GPU (for HW transcoding)

I thought I'd give this a performance boost without replacing the whole thing. The motherboard supports both the E3-1285 V4 as well as the E3-1285L V4 (with an "L")

The non-"L" "regular" version is around US$135 where I live, while the "L" version is $30 cheaper.

How much performance am I missing if I just get the "L" version?

Edited by oj88

I'd say you'll miss for $30 or less of performance. It's a little slower, but also a little cheaper. I don't think you'll ever notice the difference in real life.

For raw (but probably not very useful comparison), you can check out:

Intel Xeon E3-1285 v4 @ 3.50GHz vs Intel Xeon E3-1285L v4 @ 3.40GHz vs Intel Xeon E3-1285 v3 @ 3.60GHz [cpubenchmark.net] by PassMark Software

10 hours ago, TheGuru said:

I'd say you'll miss for $30 or less of performance. It's a little slower, but also a little cheaper. I don't think you'll ever notice the difference in real life.

For raw (but probably not very useful comparison), you can check out:

Intel Xeon E3-1285 v4 @ 3.50GHz vs Intel Xeon E3-1285L v4 @ 3.40GHz vs Intel Xeon E3-1285 v3 @ 3.60GHz [cpubenchmark.net] by PassMark Software

Thanks. I already saw that comparison and it's partially the reason I'm confused on which one to get. While the "L" CPU is the low-TDP/slower core-speed version, it is also faster than the regular E3-1285 V4 according to that benchmark... which made little sense to me.

Anyway, I found an old Anandtech article comparing these CPUs here: https://www.anandtech.com/show/9532/the-intel-broadwell-xeon-e3-v4-review-95w-65w-35w-1285-1285l-1265

I will have to read through the finer points but it seems that in a nutshell, the "L" version might be the better-binned CPU and despite its apparent handicap, can still trade blows with the non-L CPU. Again, I'll have to read the whole thing.

Edited by oj88