RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Building a box for virtualization

kermi

So, i've been infected with the computer-building fever again. Apparently i have extra money, so i was thinking of building myself a box for virtualizing some servers and general mucking about. And possibly virtualizing my disk storage too.

I was thinking on using something like AMD Athlon II X4 600e AM3, or Athlon II X4 640, and was wondering what's the diffrence between the two, except for .9 GHz in speed and about 50W of TDP difference? I plan on AMD, since they are a whole lot cheaper than Intels quadcores, upto the point where i can buy two quadcore cpus from AMD for one Intel quadcore.

Also, any recommendations for a motherboard?

Guest no-control

Not really as they haven't had a worthwhile offering in some time. They look to be the same architecture so I would guess the e series would be the better choice for the power/heat savings. AMD is notorious for charging out the wazoo for their e series though. Any motherboard with AMD-V and enough onboard slots/ports for your build should be fine. Pick your favorite of the top manufacturers I suppose. Still not seeing how this is so much cheaper than Intel core i3/H55.

I'd get a board with dual network ports. For the cost difference it's worthwhile. Depending on what sort of storage you're planning for, it might make sense to make sure you have at least two PCIe x16 slots as well.. (mid-range controller cards are starting to get into x8 territory...)

Both my virtual machine servers are using X4 chips in Asus M4A785 (IIRC) boards, and the extra network port is about all I wish I had sprung for. (I've got 3 PCI NICs in each, but I'm leery of maxing out the bus and don't want to fork out more cash for PCIe NICs.)

When I did the pricing on my servers, I looked at both the Intel and AMD offerings. Since I just wanted multiple cheap boxes, AMD worked out better for me. If you want tons of threads, Intel might be a better route, but I've had no problem with the X4 chips..

Oh, one other thing. You may want to look at getting ECC ram rather than standard desktop ram. When I get the cash for an upgrade I'll be switching my machines over to ECC once I put 8 or 16 Gigs in each box (they only have 4G now so I'm not too worried).

I tend to agree with no-control. I find the Intel chips offer better overall value, at least at this point.

Well, that ofcourse depends on where you live.. I could build 8 core AMD system for the price of one i3, with what the prices are around here...

It is what we lovingly call The Finland Tax. :D

Edited by kermi

I would like to think the Intel Core ix chips will be getting a little less expensive just as soon as the Sandy Bridge issues are resolved.

I would like to think the Intel Core ix chips will be getting a little less expensive just as soon as the Sandy Bridge issues are resolved.

We'll see what the future brings.. i'll propably postpone building this thing untill whs 2011 goes RTM anyway..