RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Another Drive Extender clone?

Dave

Hi All,

No MS people here, although we know Windows pretty well with a long history of driver development.

Or initial intent, back in early 2010 was for a product that was for all versions of Windows, not WHS (after all, WHS already had DE).

Anyway here are some of the features.

Seamlessly expand the storage - Add a new drive, or even a drive partition to the pool at any time.

Drive removal supported - Removing a drive from the pool forces content to be written to other drives in the pool.

Folder level data duplication - Data duplication can be configured at a folder level.

Support all Windows O/S's - Includes support for all modern versions of Windows, including Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 2003, Windows 2008, Windows 2008 R2 and Windows Home Server 2011.

Non-destructive file system - Drive Bender uses a standard file system folder structure to store data. The drive can be read without Drive Bender being installed.

Native 64 bit support - Will support both x86 and x64 binaries.

Can utilize non-exclusive drives - Existing mounted partitions can be added to the pool.

Self-balancing - Data is written to the drives evenly, however should a new drive be inserted into the pool, data is redistributed according.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, so feel free to post questions.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Thanks so much for posting; great to hear from the actual developers. I too signed up for the beta. Now I gotta put together a box to test it on. Anyway, the features sound awesome, the best I've seen yet. I look forward to seeing it work.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, so feel free to post questions.

Please keep us posted on any new developments...this would be something I would definitely be interested in.

http://www.drivebender.com/

Another poster left this link in the stable bit drive pool conversation. First post an outside link, that's a no-no.

How come we haven't heard of this before? I invite the vendor to contact me if you are reading this.

Dave, you have a post on the blog page for StableBit DrivePool. I think this one deserves an entry as well. It sounds even more feature-packed than DrivePool.

Awesome to see the drivebender guy on here... I see a guest spot on the show very soon! :) After all my troubles with a server reinstall/recovery I can now finally get a little bit excited about a possible move to Vail (or whatever the hell its called now). After they scrapped DE, I scrapped the thought of Vail... I've got too many mismatched drives in my system (16 and counting) to implement RAID or any other BS besides a VERY DE-like system. I wish you guys all the luck and we will be watching/testing very closely! Cheers!

BTW - Today is the best Monday I have had in a long time... got my WHS v1 server back up and running after a month of downtime/drive migration, discovered posts about DriveBender and/or Stablebit Drive Pool AND to top it off there's a new Radiohead album coming out Saturday... YES!

Edited by BigSpenderNOT

http://www.mswhs.com/2011/02/drive-bender-1-0-1-6-bug-fix/

The early beta release of Drive Bender has had an update. Beta release 1.0.1.6 (2011-02-21) have the following bug fixes:

Creating a mount point using a drive letter now works correctly.

Installer now working correctly on x86 platforms.

I believe that fixes both of Dave's complaints.