RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Another Drive Extender clone?

Dave

Division-M??? Are we expecting James Bond to show up?

Still and all, it sounds interesting. Let's see, 2 DE style products showing up only months after MS kills it. Anyone else wondering if MS employees, or ex-employees, are venturing out on their own, or at least on the side?

This looks interesting, but only in the way that book covers are interesting. I need to test drive it and hear about other people's experiences before I form an opinion.

Looks like it has to be Microsoft People or Mocrosoft Consultants. This technology takes too long to develop for a Beta to be ready in just a few days from now.

I signed up. Lets see what it is and how well it works.

Edited by fblittle

Division-M??? Are we expecting James Bond to show up?

A little investigating shows that Division-M is part of JACAL Consulting. JACAL Consulting has a contact page that includes Microsmith Technology (Division-M). A look at WHOIS shows drivebender is registered to a person with last name Smith in Australia. This is probably the smith in Microsmith Technology.

If you look at the JACAL consulting web site the company has been providing contract work since 1999 to the IT industry. In this case I don't think this add-in is being created by someone who has never done a commercial product or just decided to start programming. Obviously the proof will be in the product when people are actually able to start testing it.

And why did Drivebender suddenly show up on the scene? My guess is StableBit forced their hand. I would guess that every since Microsoft announced DE was dead and forums like ours started talking about alternatives there were people thinking about how to accomplish a DE type Add-in.

For the nay-sayers...you don't have to use it or even try it. For those who think Microsoft couldn't get it right so what chance do others stand, there is always a different way to tackle a problem. Maybe these guys have uncovered it.

Guest no-control

For the nay-sayers...you don't have to use it or even try it. For those who think Microsoft couldn't get it right so what chance do others stand, there is always a different way to tackle a problem. Maybe these guys have uncovered it.

Not a nay-sayer just skeptical.

True. This is how new tech gets invented. DriveBender sounds particularly interesting. Imagine having DE style drive mgmt in almost any version of Windows. I think a lot of people would find it of interest for their desktop machines.

Hi All,

Looks like it has to be Microsoft People or Mocrosoft Consultants. This technology takes too long to develop for a Beta to be ready in just a few days from now.

I signed up. Lets see what it is and how well it works.

No MS people here, although we know Windows pretty well with a long history of driver development.

And why did Drivebender suddenly show up on the scene? My guess is StableBit forced their hand. I would guess that every since Microsoft announced DE was dead and forums like ours started talking about alternatives there were people thinking about how to accomplish a DE type Add-in.

Spot on... we had intended a more leisurely release, however the pending competition has up'd the urgency.

True. This is how new tech gets invented. DriveBender sounds particularly interesting. Imagine having DE style drive mgmt in almost any version of Windows. I think a lot of people would find it of interest for their desktop machines.

Or initial intent, back in early 2010 was for a product that was for all versions of Windows, not WHS (after all, WHS already had DE).

Anyway here are some of the features.

Seamlessly expand the storage - Add a new drive, or even a drive partition to the pool at any time.

Drive removal supported - Removing a drive from the pool forces content to be written to other drives in the pool.

Folder level data duplication - Data duplication can be configured at a folder level.

Support all Windows O/S's - Includes support for all modern versions of Windows, including Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 2003, Windows 2008, Windows 2008 R2 and Windows Home Server 2011.

Non-destructive file system - Drive Bender uses a standard file system folder structure to store data. The drive can be read without Drive Bender being installed.

Native 64 bit support - Will support both x86 and x64 binaries.

Can utilize non-exclusive drives - Existing mounted partitions can be added to the pool.

Self-balancing - Data is written to the drives evenly, however should a new drive be inserted into the pool, data is redistributed according.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, so feel free to post questions.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Good to see a vendor searching out it's potential clients. As you can tell DE

is a much loved feature. Get it right and you will have a loyal customer base.