RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Stuck on boot process after Xeon E3-1265L v2 CPU upgrade

Hi everyone

I wish to replace the native CPU at my HP Microserver Gen8 server, an Intel Pentium G2020T, with an Intel Xeon E3-1265L on the good advice of this forum.

After removing the motherboard, changing the CPU, plugging it back in, I restart the server. On boot it emits some kind of intermittent "beeps" from the RAID card (I think?), something unusual.

After ~30 seconds, on the remote console, I got this screen :

SERVER NOT BOOTING, STATUS CODE :0114 - Hewlett Packard Enterprise Community

(it's a screen retrieved from Google, with the same error. My BIOS is up to date to J06 04/04/2019)

This screen does not move, despite many minutes of waiting. I still get this error :

Memory and QPI Link Initialization Start, Status Code: 0114

I re-mount the whole thing and disconnect all the disks: no change.

By putting back the old CPU, no more problems, everything runs fine.

I repeat the CPU switch, thinking that it was potentially due to a cabling failure.

...one time. Two times. Three times. Always the same result, I always get this screen, without being able to do anything else than rebooting the NAS.

Do you have any idea where this error could come from? how to know if the problem comes from the cpu or not ?Is there a specific thing to do before a CPU change?

Server specs :

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen 8
  Intel Pentium G2020T @ 2.5Ghz

16GB RAM 

4x 3TB Enterprise SAS HDD's
  P420 with 1GB Cache and BBU 

Thank you for your help!

I would remove one stick of RAM and try again, then try the other, it might be the new CPU doesn't like the existing RAM.

Its only a guess though, sorry can't be more help.

• Like 1

@steeve, looks like you got it right!

Removing the second strip of RAM allows me to boot without any problem. I should have tried this earlier, especially considering the error that was indicated on the screen...

However, by using only the second slot OR both RAM slots at the same time, the problems mentioned above reappear (reversing the RAM strips does not change this). I need to only use the first slot to get it work.

ram.jpg.c7a095448ea717274d14c1416b624761.jpg

The working configuration

Moreover, the "beeps" emitted by the PC (some kind of clicking sound) when the boot process doesn't work, seems to come from this place. 

Screenshot_20180527-184432.png.4f466b23f42b6cfcc5a47f1b60802c3a.thumb.png.0b871ac8fc7e4631e17baf4d43b0adc5.pngBelow the RAID controller, credits to @stoney73

In summary, I encounter boot problems & beeps when :
- I use the new processor
- AND I use something other than just the first RAM strip

In other cases, everything works properly (the two RAM strips & the processor)

For information, I got two 8Go DDR3 ECC Ram.

Any idea from where this RAM slot malfunction could come from ?

Thank you !

Edited by Striffly
5 hours ago, jonathanwhite1120 said:

Restart the whole system and then try it. New processors do problems like this

Already did this, like, 30 times. I don't remove RAM & processor when the PC is on lol

[mention=16153]steeve[/mention], looks like you got it right!
Removing the second strip of RAM allows me to boot without any problem. I should have tried this earlier, especially considering the error that was indicated on the screen...

However, by using only the second slot OR both RAM slots at the same time, the problems mentioned above reappear (reversing the RAM strips does not change this). I need to only use the first slot to get it work.

ram.jpg.c7a095448ea717274d14c1416b624761.jpg

The working configuration

Moreover, the "beeps" emitted by the PC (some kind of clicking sound) when the boot process doesn't work, seems to come from this place. 

Screenshot_20180527-184432.png.4f466b23f42b6cfcc5a47f1b60802c3a.thumb.png.0b871ac8fc7e4631e17baf4d43b0adc5.pngBelow the RAID controller, credits to [mention=16261]stoney73[/mention]

In summary, I encounter boot problems & beeps when :
- I use the new processor
- AND I use something other than just the first RAM strip
In other cases, everything works properly (the two RAM strips & the processor)

For information, I got two 8Go DDR3 ECC Ram.

Any idea from where this RAM slot malfunction could come from ?
Thank you !
Well I'm glad I could be of some help, I haven't heard of a issue with the actual slots before, Is the second troublesome slot 'clean' or doesn't have anything on the causing a short, again just a guess though!
schoondoggy

The memory controller is part of the CPU.

This issue occurs often when swapping CPU. You may want to remove the CPU to check for debris or thermal compound that may have gotten on the contacts. Check the socket to be sure no tabs are bent.

15 hours ago, steeve said:

Well I'm glad I could be of some help, I haven't heard of a issue with the actual slots before, Is the second troublesome slot 'clean' or doesn't have anything on the causing a short, again just a guess though!

I only have this problem with the second CPU. Using the original CPU, both RAM strips work correctly.

3 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

The memory controller is part of the CPU.

This issue occurs often when swapping CPU. You may want to remove the CPU to check for debris or thermal compound that may have gotten on the contacts. Check the socket to be sure no tabs are bent.

Again, this is not a problem I encounter when using the original CPU. I'll try to clean CPU and socket with isopropyl alcohol, I'll let you know as soon as it's done.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

The chirps and and beeps you hear will be coming from a buzzer located besides the CMOS battery (black cylinder with a hole on top). You'll hear repeating chirps if the system is on a boot loop.

Somewhat unrelated to your hardware but I, too, recently upgraded from an i5-4570 to an E3-1285v4 on my home-built server (Gigabyte Z97-D3H). I initially encountered the boot loop (slow repeating chirps) until I decided to remove all power and cleared the CMOS. After that, everything booted up to BIOS/UEFI. I loaded up Optimized defaults, and It's been running smoothly for almost a week now.

There's also a remote chance that the new CPU has a fault in one of its two memory channels. If none of the suggestions above help, I'm afraid that the only recourse to validate this is to test and isolate using a similar or compatible motherboard.

• Like 1