RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

newbie with gen8 server and upgrades

biohazard69

Hi, I'm new to my microserver. yesterday I bought one in my country at a good price, at the moment I am updating the OS to perform a bios upgrade to install an i3 processor, and 4gb ram, which I plan to expand to 16gb ram, but I think I am a bit confused how many 2.5 units I can add since I bought said floppy power adapter for a 2.5 disk but I find tutorials with fallen links that can be installed more units .. which is what is necessary since I have in my possession 3 hard disks of 2.5 of 1tb that I could add to be useful this. adding that ram recommend me if this model is compatible.

Timetec Hynix IC 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR3L 1600MHz PC3-12800 Unbuffered Non-ECC 1.35V CL11 2Rx8 Dual Rank 240 Pin UDIMM PC Desktop Main Memory Module Upgrade (16GB Kit (2x8GB))

5 hours ago, biohazard69 said:

Hi, I'm new to my microserver. yesterday I bought one in my country at a good price, at the moment I am updating the OS to perform a bios upgrade to install an i3 processor, and 4gb ram, which I plan to expand to 16gb ram, but I think I am a bit confused how many 2.5 units I can add since I bought said floppy power adapter for a 2.5 disk but I find tutorials with fallen links that can be installed more units .. which is what is necessary since I have in my possession 3 hard disks of 2.5 of 1tb that I could add to be useful this. adding that ram recommend me if this model is compatible.

Timetec Hynix IC 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR3L 1600MHz PC3-12800 Unbuffered Non-ECC 1.35V CL11 2Rx8 Dual Rank 240 Pin UDIMM PC Desktop Main Memory Module Upgrade (16GB Kit (2x8GB))

Which i3 CPU are you planning to use?

The MicroServer Gen8 requires ECC memory, the modules you have listed will not work.

You can run four 3.5" drives in the from bays and there is an internal SATA connection to run a 2.5" drive internal. There is room for more 2.5" drives internal, but you would need to add more ports through a SATA/SAS HBA or RAID card.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Which i3 CPU are you planning to use?

The MicroServer Gen8 requires ECC memory, the modules you have listed will not work.

You can run four 3.5" drives in the from bays and there is an internal SATA connection to run a 2.5" drive internal. There is room for more 2.5" drives internal, but you would need to add more ports through a SATA/SAS HBA or RAID card.

Hello, I just bought the i3-3240 4cores process, update the bios since this equipment that I bought was stored without use for 4 years, you will understand that everything was outdated .. I currently have 2 4tb hdd and I want to add 2 more units plus a 480gb ssd for Operating System .. I would like to know if I can install 32gb ram or only hold 16gb?

I just bought 16gb ram for the gen8 on aliexpress I found some Samsung with good references and several commented that it was compatible for the gen8, so wait a couple of days. what I would like to add more units than card do you recommend installing I would like to install 3 disks of 2.5 that I have to leave a powerful Nas