RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Virtualization

TheGuy

Frustrated. Oddly, Hyper-V server core installs on test bed (Atom D510) but the Hyper-V addition to Server 2008 R2 will not. It states I don't have Intel's virtualization activated. Obviously, since IIRC the D510 does not have hardware virtualization. Not sure why Hyper-V Server installed however...

Additionally, can't get Hyper-V server to recognize Realtek NIC, even after installing drivers using

pnputil -i -a blah.inf

. Actually built batch file that ran the pnputil and it said the drivers were installed successfully but even after a reboot it tells me I have no functional NIC.

I intend to install on i3 box, using both the bilt-in NIC and an Intel 1000MT, but I am very surprised it doesn't recognize the very common Realtek Gbit NIC. I am concerned that it won't recognize the Realtek 8111D on my current Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H.

1) Any tips on getting non-recognized NICs to work on Hyper-V server?

2) Any tips on getting (I know, officially unsupported) wireless NICs to work on Server 2008R2?

That sounds very odd. Hyper-V does require some sort of virtualization extension on the chip, so really Hyper-V server (core as you call it) shouldn't have installed.

Regarding the NiC, if this is a wireless NiC, you're probably not going to have much luck. I seem to recall there being some sort of limitation where you can't use wireless nics for virtualization purposes...

I have read where many people have had problem with the onboard Realtek NIC's. I believe the solution most spoken of was to use Intel NIC's. Wait for geek-accountant or no-control to reply though. They do lots of virtualization and can be more specific.

Frustrated. Oddly, Hyper-V server core installs on test bed (Atom D510) but the Hyper-V addition to Server 2008 R2 will not. It states I don't have Intel's virtualization activated. Obviously, since IIRC the D510 does not have hardware virtualization. Not sure why Hyper-V Server installed however...

Additionally, can't get Hyper-V server to recognize Realtek NIC, even after installing drivers using

pnputil -i -a blah.inf

. Actually built batch file that ran the pnputil and it said the drivers were installed successfully but even after a reboot it tells me I have no functional NIC.

I intend to install on i3 box, using both the bilt-in NIC and an Intel 1000MT, but I am very surprised it doesn't recognize the very common Realtek Gbit NIC. I am concerned that it won't recognize the Realtek 8111D on my current Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H.

2) Any tips on getting (I know, officially unsupported) wireless NICs to work on Server 2008R2?

This may sound dumb but so you have a network cable plugged into your nic? My nics didnt't show up in Hyper-V until they had connectivity. Hope this helps bro.

Guest no-control

pnputil -i -a blah.inf

Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 is not an operating system. It's a Hypervisor, just like Xenserver or ESXi. Therefore there is no checking of the hardware to determine VM capability. Windows Server 2008 R2 on the other hand does. But you are correct the D510 doesn't not have VT, nor is it capable of supporting a virtual environment, so you'll need another board.

I'm assuming this is the Realtek NIC on the D510 since the D510 isn't going to anyway I wont address this right now. That being said I have no issues with Realtek NICs onboard or otherwise. Best way to determine is to check the HCL for your NICs. so that answers #1

I HVS08 is designed for a Domain and isn't really meant to be used in an workgroup environment. But it will do it, the easy way to configure it requires you use a remote management config utility aka HVRemote Also make sure that administrator

To answer #2 Wireless LAN is supported! This is a server, everything is locked down and you need to enable it. WiFi LAN service isn't set to auto start you have to do it yourself. 99% of the Servers will not use WiFi, most likely why it defaults to off.

Edited by no-control

Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 is not an operating system. It's a Hypervisor, just like Xenserver or ESXi. Therefore there is no checking of the hardware to determine VM capability. Windows Server 2008 R2 on the other hand does. But you are correct the D510 doesn't not have VT, nor is it capable of supporting a virtual environment, so you'll need another board.

I'm assuming this is the Realtek NIC on the D510 since the D510 isn't going to anyway I wont address this right now. That being said I have no issues with Realtek NICs onboard or otherwise. Best way to determine is to check the HCL for your NICs. so that answers #1

I HVS08 is designed for a Domain and isn't really meant to be used in an workgroup environment. But it will do it, the easy way to configure it requires you use a remote management config utility aka HVRemote Also make sure that administrator

To answer #2 Wireless LAN is supported! This is a server, everything is locked down and you need to enable it. WiFi LAN service isn't set to auto start you have to do it yourself. 99% of the Servers will not use WiFi, most likely why it defaults to off.

Yes, first NIC was with D510, so not concerned with it specifically. In answer to other comment, no I did *not* actually have the wired NIC plugged in...doh. I suppose if it doesn't register any activity then it simply defaults to not there.

Any tips on activating the wireless service besides going into services? When I went through the services control there was no listing for WZC or any of the other myriad of names MS calls their wireless service(s) that I am familiar with. Is it called something new in Server 2008?

Regarding HVS08 in a non-domain environment, I read your (Mike's) comments about that but since I am a stubborn SOB I just had to try it using the HSS 2 part post instructions. It was going well right up to the part where I would have had to connect remotely. That is a challenge without a functional NIC ;)

Guest no-control

No experiance in setting one up. In server 2008 its called Wireless LAN service

Edited by no-control

VMware Player 3.1.3 is free and works fine for this (unlike the old days, you can create virtual machines now, it's not just for playback)

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/desktop_downloads/vmware_player/3_0

But make sure to keep the VMs on your C: (but be very careful about space) or on the D: drive pool, but right at the drive root, ie, D:\VMs

(running those you might have in the D:/shares folder somewhere, and bad stuff starts to happen)

Edited by tinkererguy