RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Virtualization

TheGuy

OK folks,

I just tried to install WHS 2011 on Microsoft Virtual PC and it failed, so then I was wondering, which VM machine is most used by our WHS 2011 testers.

Let me know. I want to use one that is simple and straight forward.

Thank you

TheGuy

OK folks,

I just tried to install WHS 2011 on Microsoft Virtual PC and it failed, so then I was wondering, which VM machine is most used by our WHS 2011 testers.

Thank you

TheGuy

VirtualBox for me, because Virtual PC doesn't support 64-bit guest OS'.

OK folks,

Thank you

TheGuy

I used VMWare as per this post: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/04/26/installing-vail-onto-a-virtual-machine-part-2-vmware-server/

Works very well. Install was easy, I had WHS2011 up in about an hour last night. It took me longer to download from Connect than to set the system up on my desktop using VMWare. Gave it two cores and 2048mb of ram, 500gb of drive space, and off I went!

Jim

Guest no-control

OK folks,

Thank you

TheGuy

I'm using 2008R2 & Hyper-V (not cheap)

I would suggest using either VMWare server or VirtualBox. If you're willing to go with a Type I then there's Xenserver, Hyper-V Server 2008, ESXi. Which are all free.

Windows Virtual PC in Windows 7 only support 32bit Host OS not 64bit which is why you have issues. I had to expirence this the hard way too :-(

Use VMWare Workstation .... se my post in the virtual forum:

http://homeserversho...-virtual-disks/

VM Workstation is $200 I doubt anyone here wants to pay for it, when there are free options that are good enough for testing.

I would suggest using either VMWare server or VirtualBox. If you're willing to go with a Type I then there's Xenserver, Hyper-V Server 2008, ESXi. Which are all free.

VM Workstation is $200 I doubt anyone here wants to pay for it, when there are free options that are good enough for testing.

2008 R2 & Hyper-V

If you're doing desktop virtualization, VirtualBox seems to be the way to go. (Microsoft Virtual PC is crap, IMO.)

If you're doing server virtualization, my preference/recommendation is Hyper-V. If you have OEM hardware on the approved list, VMWare ESXi is probably just as good. (I've been told Hyper-V is much more tolerant hardware-wise.)

If you don't have access to technet/msdn, there is a free version of Hyper-V Server available.

Using Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V here also. Install was a breeze. As no-control mentioned, if you don't want to use the full OS of Server 2008 R2, then Xenserver is an excellent free option as well as Hyper-V server, which I have never used. While I LOVE Xenserver, now that Hyper-V has dynamic memory, I would give it the edge over Xenserver as long as all you want to run is Windows based OS's.

I would suggest using either VMWare server or VirtualBox.

That requires either Enterprise or Datacenter versions, correct? Does standard have Hyper-V?

Also, why Hyper-V on top of 2008R2 instead of Hyper-V Server and whatever on top of that?

Interesting discussion here; not sure if more BYOB or WHS centric...

That requires either Enterprise or Datacenter versions, correct? Does standard have Hyper-V?

Yes.. All version of Server 2008R2 can have the Hyper-V role added. (this includes Full and Core installations)

Also, why Hyper-V on top of 2008R2 instead of Hyper-V Server and whatever on top of that?

Hyper-V Server and Core need to be managed from another PC. You end up getting a very minimal user interface, which can take some learning to become familiar with. This is the reason my Hyper-V servers are all Full installs, so that if I need to, I can login and manipulate files just as I would on any other PC.