RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hard Drives -- so many choices

Joe_Miner

Was thinking of expanding storage in some of my machines with 2+ drives either in Mirrors or DrivePool and was wondering what people are leaning towards (should have thought about this before Black Friday -- I know) in 8, 10, or 12 TB drives?

WD Red, Red+, Red Pro, Gold, Se (only goes to 6TB I think)

Segate -- I'd sworn off Seagate a long time ago when I got burned bad but I'm willing to listen

Other

Last year when I had a bunch of 4TB Reds fail I rushed to switch in 6TB Reds -- they're still running good but I'd like to be a little more proactive expanding and distribute my capacity somewhat. 

schoondoggy
22 hours ago, Joe_Miner said:

Was thinking of expanding storage in some of my machines with 2+ drives either in Mirrors or DrivePool and was wondering what people are leaning towards (should have thought about this before Black Friday -- I know) in 8, 10, or 12 TB drives?

WD Red, Red+, Red Pro, Gold, Se (only goes to 6TB I think)

Segate -- I'd sworn off Seagate a long time ago when I got burned bad but I'm willing to listen

Other

Last year when I had a bunch of 4TB Reds fail I rushed to switch in 6TB Reds -- they're still running good but I'd like to be a little more proactive expanding and distribute my capacity somewhat. 

I would check all of your existing WD Reds to see if you have any that are SMR drives. SMR should not be an issue with DrivePool, but you never know. Even though WD owns Hitachi HGST I find their drives to be consistently good. Toshiba drives are good, specifically their NAS drives. Seagate NAS drives like IronWolf seems to be doing well.

Best price per TB is buying WD externals and shucking them, but you can never be sure of what you will get. Depending on the drive model and the system you are putting them in, you may need to modify the 3.3v pin.

I needed to add some drives to existing arrays, I picked up some 6TB SAS lightly used for $65ea and some 4TB SAS used for$35 a few months back. At some point I am sure I will get burned on used/refurbed drives, but so far so good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Joe_Miner

Good point on the SMR issue!  Hadn't thought much about Hitachi or Toshiba -- will give them another look. I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to go down the route of used/refurbished drives.

Thanks!!

Joe_Miner

I've started with 2 WD Red Pro's 10TB ea and started a DrivePool on the Gen10 MS Yesterday. So far looking pretty good.