RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can I remove the Recorded TV share?

Joshua B

I'm using v1 and I don't use tuner cards. Can I remove the Recorded TV share and if so, how? Thanks!

If you right-click on the shared folder in Console you'll see that 'x Remove' is greyed out (I presume you've already seen this for yourself and that's why you're asking how to remove it). That doesn't appear to be an accident. I expect the share is a fundamental part of WHS. I would leave it alone. You don't have to put anything in it if you don't want to, and I don't see what harm it does having an empty share.

I would remove the share (unshare the folder) which would cause that folder to disappear in the "Shared Folders" shortcut. The folder would actually still be visible on the Server side just not visible to clients.

I would remove the share (unshare the folder) which would cause that folder to disappear in the "Shared Folders" shortcut. The folder would actually still be visible on the Server side just not visible to clients.

Interesting. You believe that's safe? That WHS won't complain about it?

Safe to unshare a folder? Why not? Does WHS complain when you add a new Share? Better to unshare than to delete.

In a normal server situation I totally agree, and I'm not disagreeing now. I'm just wondering why the Console doesn't make the Remove command available, if it's truly not harmful. I mean, doesn't it seem reasonable that MS greyed out Remove for a good reason? Or is that an oxymoron? :)

I believe that MS did not put that option in the Console because the average "Home User" knows nothing about Shares and Security Permissions". This is probably one of the reasons "Home Groups" were created starting with Vista.

For me, it would just be easier to unshare the folder which leaves all the permissions in place, just not the ability to get at the folder (unless you are a server admin) until such time the share is re-enabled.