RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help

rudelz

Hi folks.  

Worked in IT for 20 years.  Totally stumped with a bog standard ML10 V2

I cannot get any OS to install.   Currently just have an SSD installed in the 5th SATA.  The HP storage helper or whatever it is called shows me this and lets me do things but nothing useful.

RAID Controller Off.  Windows Install fails at 65% on Getting Files Ready.  Tried Win 10, Server 2012, Server 2016

RAID On.  Cannot locate any Hard Disk to install to, tried multiple B120i drivers

I have iLO licence / direct screen access

I had it working a few years ago, just feels like things have been updated to disable things working?

I'd love to install any OS.  I just want to use this long dormant device as a file store.  

I appreciate this is an old forum.  I will be binning the device soon as I spent so long on it getting nowhere.   If anyone lives in Southampton UK u are welcome to give it a good home

Thanks

Hi Rudeiz;

It's most likely that your not installing the HP Driver software along with the OS. I had an ML10 V2 and that was the issue I had. Once I put the drivers on  a USB stick I was able to finish the OS install. It would always seem to freeze until I put the USB stick in at the appropriate time in the install.

You need a copy of HP-SPP_2015.10.iso and HPSUM (Smart update Manager) which should be included in HP-SPP. This package will have all the drivers included. You can go to HP's site and download individual drivers without having a support contract, but it's a time consuming process and really hard to make heads or tails of HP's website.

Hope this helps.

Gib

Thanks for the tips.  I am on the case for those drives or that iso if I can find it.  Their website is indeed a nightmare!

I will let you know if I get any success, but its something I havn't tried so who knows!

Cheers

I could not find the .iso you said and I dont want to pay them for something that should really be free.  

Downloaded the gen 8.1 and flashed firmware.  All seemed to be OK the ilo 4 interface has changed, so I presume something worked.

Still can't install any OS.  No drives listed whilst trying to install with the RAID controller, I have drivers from so many sources on USB and mounted virtually, installing them still doesn't bring up anything.  

Onto my 3rd beer.  

On your link you sent, what drivers do I need to get, like all of them?!

Really appreciate your help.  Attached is screenshot when I am trying to load drivers for the controller.

Drivers.png

On 11/27/2020 at 5:06 PM, rudelz said:

I could not find the .iso you said and I dont want to pay them for something that should really be free.  

Downloaded the gen 8.1 and flashed firmware.  All seemed to be OK the ilo 4 interface has changed, so I presume something worked.

Still can't install any OS.  No drives listed whilst trying to install with the RAID controller, I have drivers from so many sources on USB and mounted virtually, installing them still doesn't bring up anything.  

Onto my 3rd beer.  

On your link you sent, what drivers do I need to get, like all of them?!

Really appreciate your help.  Attached is screenshot when I am trying to load drivers for the controller.

Drivers.png

Hi;

You'd need the B120i driver if you were going to use the onboard raid controller for Sata 1 though 4. The other ports work off the Intel chipset. And as you've discovered it you go into the Bios and set the ports for AHCI mode you can see them fine.

You have to run the raid setup from bootable USB and  configure the drive for a 1 drive array before the drive will show up and you can install the OS and raid drivers. I think if you search long enough in these forums for B120i or P222 controllers you will find the information you need for setting up drives. I can't remember the specifics any more, and don't have a machine here now to experiment with.

However as you have discovered, if you run one of the MB ports in AHCI mode you can install an OS. Now you could install the HP software in the installed OS. Then run the raid manager, create 1 drive arrays for all your drives on the controller, then create a raid array from those drives, and with the B120i driver installed in your OS you can now see and select those drives.

The ML20 is a nice machine, but was a little on the hot and noisy side here in the tropics of Queensland AU.

Gib

Aye least I have got it half working, just fighting with the Raid Controller now

Thanks for the guidance and the support.  I would not have gotten this far without ya!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gibster said:

You'd need the B120i driver if you were going to use the onboard raid controller for Sata 1 though 4.

Did he not mention the SSD being on SATA5?
Maybe moving the drive to another SATA port could be a winner here?