RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Add more than 4 HDD on Gen8 Microserver

jeremy_fritz

12 hours ago, jeremy_fritz said:

Hi!

I realized that I didn't get back to you. I was very busy in early 2021 and then forgot about these discussions. Sorry and thank you all for your suggestions!

Now that I have a little bit more time, I have some questions before buying all what I need to add 1 extra HDD:

What you call "the power union" is the Power supply (where all power cable come from), right? Or is it something else?

2. Also, you previously recommended LSI cards for Linux. I have a HP Gen8 MicroServer with ESXi (I planned to install proxmox but it is not done yet). Is this brand recommended also for ESXi (since it is based on Linux)?

3. I plan to take this one (to be used with ESXi on Gen8 Microserver): should it be compatible?

Thanks again for your help!

1. There is a inline coupler or union under the ODD bay that can be used to add a 'Y' cord to power more drives or you can convert the power cable in the ODD to SATA power.

2. LSI based cards work well with any OS or HyperVisor

3. That card is LSI based, but its internal connectors are individual SATA. It depends on what you are trying to achieve, but I usually use a HBA or RAID card that has a SFF-8087 connector and move the internal drive bays to it. They I connect a SFF-8087 fan out cable to the onboard SATA controller and run the extra drives from it.

I like cards like this:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/133057779691?hash=item1efadc97eb:g:DRQAAOSw1chc4kW6 

Thanks!

8 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

1. There is a inline coupler or union under the ODD bay that can be used to add a 'Y' cord to power more drives or you can convert the power cable in the ODD to SATA power.

I already have a SSD instead of the ODD. So you would recommend a Y cord?

8 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

3. That card is LSI based, but its internal connectors are individual SATA. It depends on what you are trying to achieve, but I usually use a HBA or RAID card that has a SFF-8087 connector and move the internal drive bays to it. They I connect a SFF-8087 fan out cable to the onboard SATA controller and run the extra drives from it.

I like cards like this:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/133057779691?hash=item1efadc97eb:g:DRQAAOSw1chc4kW6 

The only difference is that with the one I found I won't be able to create RAID, is that right?

Finally just to make sure: with the card you suggest, I shouldn't need an extra fan, right?

34 minutes ago, jeremy_fritz said:

The SSD is not really bulky. I was thinking that maybe I could put it on the side or something...

Some more details:

I would like to add 1 extra 3.5" HDD (2 seem very too much). Reason why I don't need a RAID card.

You think what I'm trying to do is a little bit too dirty? If I may encounter heat issues, I was even thinking about letting the case open...