RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Add more than 4 HDD on Gen8 Microserver

jeremy_fritz

8 hours ago, jeremy_fritz said:

The card you linked to appears to use a Marvell controller, generally not the best choice for Linux.

LSI based cards work well with Linux and a card configured as 4i4e gives you four internal and 4 external drives:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-LSI-SAS9212-4i4e-6G-SATA-SAS-Host-Bus-Adapter-HBA-46C8935-46C8934-46M0907/192562587005?epid=23002590603&hash=item2cd59fe57d:g:g5AAAOSwlCdbGpcb

• Like 1

Thank you!

So let's say tat I'm gonna take this LSI card (https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-LSI-SAS9212-4i4e-6G-SATA-SAS-Host-Bus-Adapter-HBA-46C8935-46C8934-46M0907/192562587005?epid=23002590603&hash=item2cd59fe57d:g:g5AAAOSwlCdbGpcb).

- May I have enough room to add only 1 3.5" HDD, even with an SDM? (@Trig0r: I understood that 2 would be too much but maybe 1 would be OK?)

- Should I add a fan to cool the card and/or the HDD? If so, where should I connect it?

- Except the SATA cable used for data, I suppose I will need another wire for power. How can I do since I already use 4HDD in the bay + 1 SSD and I can't see anymore power cables in the server?

Thanks  again for your help :)

I am really happy to see how helpful is this community!

1 hour ago, jeremy_fritz said:

Thank you!

So let's say tat I'm gonna take this LSI card (https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-LSI-SAS9212-4i4e-6G-SATA-SAS-Host-Bus-Adapter-HBA-46C8935-46C8934-46M0907/192562587005?epid=23002590603&hash=item2cd59fe57d:g:g5AAAOSwlCdbGpcb).

- May I have enough room to add only 1 3.5" HDD, even with an SDM? (@Trig0r: I understood that 2 would be too much but maybe 1 would be OK?)

- Should I add a fan to cool the card and/or the HDD? If so, where should I connect it?

- Except the SATA cable used for data, I suppose I will need another wire for power. How can I do since I already use 4HDD in the bay + 1 SSD and I can't see anymore power cables in the server?

Thanks  again for your help :)

I am really happy to see how helpful is this community!

1. I have never been able to fit a regular 3.5" drive inside the case of the Gen8. At one point I did get a 3.5" drive to fit on the SDM, but it was a Seagate 1TB drive that was slim, 20mm thick. I do not think any drive manufacture continued making a thin/slim 3.5" drive. As for 2.5" drives in 9.5mm thickness they go up to 2TB. In 2.5" and 15mm thickness they go up to 5TB, but they tend to be SMR drives.

2. Depending on the card you install you may need to add a fan. You would need to provide power from either the plug in the ODD bay or split the union above the swappable bay.

3. You can power drives by adding splitters to the power union above the swappable drive bay or using a FDD to SATA power adapter in the ODD: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pin-Floppy-Disk-Drive-to-15-Pin-SATA-Power-Cable-Dell-MX714-Compatible/291282226900?hash=item43d1c60ed4:g:02MAAOSwajVUUqCw

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I added a raid card + 8 with sata connectors and added 8 hard drives + 1 ssd of 128gb without counting the 4 disks of 3.5 I do not know if the factory supply will hold ... I realize when I turn it on, it turns off and returns to learn

• 7 months later...

Hi!

I realized that I didn't get back to you. I was very busy in early 2021 and then forgot about these discussions. Sorry and thank you all for your suggestions!

Now that I have a little bit more time, I have some questions before buying all what I need to add 1 extra HDD:

On 12/3/2020 at 4:51 PM, schoondoggy said:

1. I have never been able to fit a regular 3.5" drive inside the case of the Gen8. At one point I did get a 3.5" drive to fit on the SDM, but it was a Seagate 1TB drive that was slim, 20mm thick. I do not think any drive manufacture continued making a thin/slim 3.5" drive. As for 2.5" drives in 9.5mm thickness they go up to 2TB. In 2.5" and 15mm thickness they go up to 5TB, but they tend to be SMR drives.

2. Depending on the card you install you may need to add a fan. You would need to provide power from either the plug in the ODD bay or split the union above the swappable bay.

3. You can power drives by adding splitters to the power union above the swappable drive bay or using a FDD to SATA power adapter in the ODD: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pin-Floppy-Disk-Drive-to-15-Pin-SATA-Power-Cable-Dell-MX714-Compatible/291282226900?hash=item43d1c60ed4:g:02MAAOSwajVUUqCw

What you call "the power union" is the Power supply (where all power cable come from), right? Or is it something else?

2. Also, you previously recommended LSI cards for Linux. I have a HP Gen8 MicroServer with ESXi (I planned to install proxmox but it is not done yet). Is this brand recommended also for ESXi (since it is based on Linux)?

3. I plan to take this one (to be used with ESXi on Gen8 Microserver): should it be compatible?

Thanks again for your help!

Edited by jeremy_fritz
Formatted text + added one question