RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Add more than 4 HDD on Gen8 Microserver

jeremy_fritz

6 hours ago, jeremy_fritz said:

Which one would you recommend for only 1 or 2 SATA ports? I don't need hardware RAID.

I heard about that P222 card but maybe it would be a little overkilled for what I need. Don't you think, guys?

1 hour ago, jeremy_fritz said:

I heard about that P222 card but maybe it would be a little overkilled for what I need. Don't you think, guys?

P222 are nice as you have four internal and four external SATA/SAS ports, but it is a RAID card. Depending on the OS you are using an HBA could be a better choice. Used LSI based HBA's start at $25.

Seeing this publication I am interested in adding more units I thought 2 or 3 of 1tb of 2.5 so the consumption would be low, any card that they recommend, currently I have a video card connected to the port I do not know if it will be good to sacrifice it, the HDMI helps a lot .. which card do you recommend?

21 hours ago, Trig0r said:

I'm running a cheap card now, Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8, works a treat and gives me the ability to add up to 8 drives..

Thanks for your feedback!

How much HDDs do you connect to it and how do you cool down the whole stuff?

I had the 4 drives in the bays connected to my addon card and then 2x SSD's connected to the onboard on an SDM for OS and VM storage, didnt require any additional cooling, however at one point I did have a P222 (I think it was) that got a bit warm so I had a small fan blowing over the heatsink to keep the card itself cool, the drives themselves don't really need it.

• Like 1

Thanks again for your sharing your experience :)

I think I'm gonna use a refurbished HBA (budget: ~ 25€), maybe the one you recommended earlier (Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8).

Do you know if there is enough room in the HP MS Gen8 to add 2 more 3.5" HDD (+ the fan to cool the card)? I was planning to use the SDM but:

- I'm not sure 2 3.5" HDD can fit in it

- I think it is sold-out

3.5" might be a push, one on top of the existing drives and one where the SDM would fit, you'd be better off looking at 2.5" drives.

I didn't need cooling on the Supermicro card, its a load cooler than the HP unit.

• Like 1

Thanks.

By the way, do you think the Supermicro card will work on Linux (I plan to use proxmox, a debian-based virtualization tool)?