RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ML310e Gen8 V2 won't boot pass 20% and emits continuous beeps

jsullivan080

I just bought a ML310e Gen8 V2 from some guy on reddit to be my first pfsense firewall/router and the thing won't boot past 20%. Server powers up, and just after 10% it reboots/resets and starts again, I think this is by design, during the next stage the POST screen shows 10% Early Processor Initialization, then jumps to 20% Memory and QPI Link Initialization Start, and after a few seconds, the servers emits fast continuous beeps.

Tests perfomed;

removed all ram

Reset the dip switch 6 on maintenance switch, no change

Tried dip 1,5,6 on and the same.

tried reseating the CPU. same

I researched a bit and it points to the MOBO. Any ideas?

I don't know the seller at all. He has a few transactions on homelabsales.

Should the ML310e Gen8 V2 be able to go into the preboot/mobo menu with no ram installed or should it error out?

I have some 2GB 1Rx8 PC3-10600R but it doesn't work. I have just ordered some 8GB PC3L-12800E DDR3 2RX8 1.35V ECC UNBUFFERED. 

Should I be able to get into the bios menu with no memory installed?

1 hour ago, jsullivan080 said:

I have some 2GB 1Rx8 PC3-10600R but it doesn't work. I have just ordered some 8GB PC3L-12800E DDR3 2RX8 1.35V ECC UNBUFFERED. 

Should I be able to get into the bios menu with no memory installed?

Usually when a HPE server hangs at this state during boot it is related to memory. It looks like you tried registered memory which is not supported and would possibly cause this kind of error. Non-ECC memory can also cause this error. If the memory you ordered is UDIMM ECC that should work.

With no memory in the system you can not access the BIOS as the system will not boot, but you may be able to access iLo. I have not tried iLo with no memory in the server, but it is a separate system on the system board.

Copy that, Thank you for the replies, I see the iLo ip and do not see it in my network so I can't access it. I will sit tight until the memory arrives. It is UDIMM.

• Like 1