RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Network slow

Dude

Folks, I've recently bought a new router and it has a speed indicator and indicates my Server Network is 100mbs, although the Mobo lan is a 1Gig network.

I'm using a Intel DG45id mobo.

I bought a switch and set the network up through the switch and it still indicated that the WHS was at 100bps.

Any thoughts ?

Folks, I've recently bought a new router and it has a speed indicator and indicates my Server Network is 100mbs, although the Mobo lan is a 1Gig network.

I'm using a Intel DG45id mobo.

I bought a switch and set the network up through the switch and it still indicated that the WHS was at 100bps.

Any thoughts ?

Have you checked the status of the Local Area Connection on the WHS to see what it thinks the speed is?

I presume you already installed the latest chipset driver for the NIC.

Edited by ikon

Have you checked the status of the Local Area Connection on the WHS to see what it thinks the speed is?

I presume you already installed the latest chipset driver for the NIC.

I downloaded and installed the latest drivers. When I go into device manager it says it is running at 100mps (auto detect) and that the link partner is incapable of higher speed.

The intel support site also states that they don't support drivers for Server 2003. So I guess thats the primary problem, although when I first built this server it was bullet proof, its just been over the past month or so that its started playing up.

Try a short pre-made cable directly from the server to the switch (assuming the switch can do gigabyte). Maybe list your router and switch model numbers, cable type, etc. We are trying to help with not many details.

hmmmm, I'm beginning to fear there's an N-way negotiation incompatibility. I've seen it before. Although N-way is supposed to make it so there is no need to specify things like speed & duplex, not all devices do it exactly the same way and when 2 such devices try to negotiate they often can't agree on gigabit speed, so they fall back to 100 Mbit. Moreover, manually changing the settings to gigabit most often doesn't work. It's really annoying. You may have to return the switch and try a different make/model.

Problem fixed, was an attack of Murphys Law.

I was previously using a cat5e cable and then when I bought the switch (NetGear GS605) I could see that the WHS was only a 100mps even though my main computer was using a cat5e and showing 1gig.

So I bought 2 CAT6 cables and fitted them, also did a cable check using the deveice manager problem shooter, it indicated that the cable was OK, but I suspect that was because teh autodetect had downgraded the connection to 100mbs, when I forced it up to 1gig I experienced network outages and instability (unusable.

So I swapped the cables around, which was difficult as one was only 1 metre long, so had to relocate my WHS.

Wallah 1 gig at WHS, bugger.

So have hooked up a replacement cable today and all is working as expected.

Thanks every-one for your help.

Edited by Dude

Glad to hear you found the solution. I have learned from many, many problems like this to start with the fundamental items first (like cables).