RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hard disk no longer recognised after recent install

dynamikspeed

I have setup 5 disks on the Microserver and configured the logical drives
These are using the B120i controller.

After only a few restarts of the server 1 of the disks is no longer recognised.

I have tried removing it from the slot and re-inserted in but it is not being picked up in Storage administrator.

The disk is question is a 2TB SATA.

Does anyone know how i can update the firmware of the disk on the Microserver itself or run some diagnostics on it. I read that it shouldn't be done through the RAID controller.

I don't have another Desktop PC to connect it to.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2020 at 11:10 PM, dynamikspeed said:

I have setup 5 disks on the Microserver and configured the logical drives
These are using the B120i controller.

After only a few restarts of the server 1 of the disks is no longer recognised.

I have tried removing it from the slot and re-inserted in but it is not being picked up in Storage administrator.

The disk is question is a 2TB SATA.

Does anyone know how i can update the firmware of the disk on the Microserver itself or run some diagnostics on it. I read that it shouldn't be done through the RAID controller.

I don't have another Desktop PC to connect it to.

Have you booted into SSA (Smart Storage Admin) to check whether the disks have been detected there? Have you opened the server and checked connections are plugged correctly?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 8:26 PM, E3000 said:

Have you booted into SSA (Smart Storage Admin) to check whether the disks have been detected there? Have you opened the server and checked connections are plugged correctly?

I have checked in there and it is not detected but the other 4 are. Its only the 2TB SATA Drive that is not detected. I checked online and there is no new firmware available. I have checked the connections and also moved into from slot 3 to 4 and still not detected?

The drive may have failed. If you do not have another PC to test it in you could use a USB to SATA adapter and test it from a laptop.

15 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:

The drive may have failed. If you do not have another PC to test it in you could use a USB to SATA adapter and test it from a laptop.

I am not sure why it would have failed as it has hardly been used. But good point i do have a USB SATA Adapter i will try that.