RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

StableBit Scanner

ikon

I installed last night with no problems so far. I also have HomeServerSMART installed and didn't have an issue. I was able to get to the console and the drives are set to scan. This morning I checked before leaving for work and noticed that 3 of 6 hard drives completed a scan, 2 were in the middle of a scan and the last hand't been scanned. No problems with any of the drives so far...I will check again later tonight.

Tim

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehard

• ikon

• JediTim

• timekills

I installed last night with no problems so far. I also have HomeServerSMART installed and didn't have an issue. I was able to get to the console and the drives are set to scan. This morning I checked before leaving for work and noticed that 3 of 6 hard drives completed a scan, 2 were in the middle of a scan and the last hand't been scanned. No problems with any of the drives so far...I will check again later tonight.

Tim

much like my experience.

much like my experience.

I checked when I came home today and it still needs to check a couple of disks...two were still being processed.

I got an update tonight 1.0.0.2416

One of my Backup drive has 13% free space and shows up as yellow in Disk Management. In Stablebit scanner the drive shows up as WHS unhealthly. If I click on the unhealthly link, a popup says check Server Storage Tab which shows yellow 13% free space. But no errors from the scan.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Diehard%20%281%29/Stablebit.PNG?w=9d333e40&sjid=2892

• 3 weeks later...

Update. I'm up to version 1.0.0.2472 BETA. I have run into a couple of issues, 1 direct and 1 indirect.

The direct issue is that SBS still crashes once in a while, particularly if I'm in the Advanced mode. The indirect issue is that, when it displays the crash error message with the sad smiley, it doesn't seem to be able to contact the server to upload the error file when I click Send Error Report. When it crashed a few minutes ago I saved the error report as a file and then tried uploading it on StableBit's feedback form. I don't know if it succeeded or not cause it gave me a 404 page after I clicked Submit. I tried sending a plain feedback, with no attachment, afterward but it too displayed a 404 page.

If I get an email from them I'll update this thread. I really like the idea of the add-in; in fact, I would love to have SBS for other versions of Windows; it seems like a great tool to have in the background.

I also heard on the HSS podcast that JimC is trying it out. Although he hasn't posted in this thread, it's nice to hear he picked up on it anyway.

Edited by ikon

• 3 weeks later...

Well, 1 piece of good news with v1.0.0.2480 BETA; when it crashed it did say it successfully sent an update to StableBit. That's a first for me. Progress is progress....

I moved to WHS 2011 last week, but I used stablebit scanner for about a week before I moved to the dark side.. 8TB took a few days to scan but it worked fine for me.. it didn't pick up any problems on the drives which was odd for two reasons:

1. I knew i had bad sectors on one of the data drives.. and,

2. My system drive died which is why I'm on WHS 2011 now.. it didn't warn me of it's impending doom.

I liked the interface though.

Hey guys,

I'm the President of Covecube Inc. it's a small (very small) company. I'm just here to say that if anyone is having trouble, we'll be more than happy to assist.

If you have any questions / problems:

stablebit.com/contact

Today we're at 1.0.0.2488 and there is only one known issue (Low disk space is being reported as a problem).

Kind Regards,

Hey guys,

I'm the President of Covecube Inc. it's a small (very small) company. I'm just here to say that if anyone is having trouble, we'll be more than happy to assist.

stablebit.com/contact

Today we're at 1.0.0.2488 and there is only one known issue (Low disk space is being reported as a problem).

Kind Regards,

Welcome Alex. Very glad to see you participating in the forum.

I've been running the beta for several weeks now. I've run into a few issues you might be interested to hear:

1) I keep getting an error popup window with an unhappy smiley face. I then get the option to send an error report or save it to disk. Out of around 20 times it has crashed since I first installed it, I have only been able to successfully send the report once. It keeps saying it can't send the report and to 'check your network connection' (which is fine BTW). One other time I saved it to disk and then tried to send it via your contact page, but that failed. The crashes seem to happen more often when I have the Advanced page showing.

2) I have a 250GB eSATA drive on my WHS that SBS keeps labelling with 'S.M.A.R.T. warning' (Soft Read Error Rate is 91). A number of other SMART utilities say it's fine, and it isn't giving me any problems. I'm wondering if there is a parameter that's set a little too sensitive.

3) following on from 2), it would be great to have the ability to set a parameter to 'ignore'. The idea would be to set it to ignore if it hasn't changed in a while and there are no other symptoms. 'Ignore' would set the drive's status to 'healthy', If the parameter does change again, then the 'at risk' status would again be asserted.

4) given how fantastic I think SBS is, I would love to be able to run it on other versions of Windows, not just as an Add-in for WHS.

5) IMHO, I think it would be good to remove the "Click here to buy a retail license" until it is actually possible to buy one :)

6) I would love to find out why SBS can't send reports and get it fixed so I can help contribute to the development process more fully.

I always worry that posts like this will be taken negatively. Please don't take it that way. I think SBS is a great idea and well worth persuing. Otherwise I wouldn't have stuck with it this long. I love what you've done so far and look forward to future builds.

Hey guys,

stablebit.com/contact

Kind Regards,

Downloaded and installed today; v. 1.0.0.2490. Also using Home Server Smart v. 1.1.36.6. I am between 1.7% - 2.7% scanned on my four SATA drives; 1 x 1.5TB and 3 x 2TB. So far all green.

Edited by timekills