RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

StableBit Scanner

ikon

I was reading the posts about StableBit DrivePool for WHS2011 and decided to visit their website. There I found reference to another Add-in named StableBit Scanner, for WHSv1: http://stablebit.com/Scanner. It sounds very interesting (especially considering my recent hard drive adventure).

I have the usual questions: has anyone else tried it? What did you think of it? and so on.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehard

• ikon

• JediTim

• timekills

I was reading the posts about StableBit DrivePool for WHS2011 and decided to visit their website. There I found reference to another Add-in named StableBit Scanner, for WHSv1: http://stablebit.com/Scanner. It sounds very interesting (especially considering my recent hard drive adventure).

I have the usual questions: has anyone else tried it? What did you think of it? and so on.

I have never heard of it until the thread you are talking about. So I wonder if it wasn't widely used.

OK, so I've volunteered to be the guinea pig; probably stupid considering the hassle I've been through the last while. Anyway, at first glance it seems to integrate into v1 just fine and is currently in the process of scanning my 3 drive pool drives, starting with the system drive. Will update as there is news.

Update: so far, the scanner seems to be working. It's almost finished all the drives in my WHS. It was crashing when I clicked the Advanced button in the Disk Status pane; not immediately, but after a while there would be this weird 'happy face' style icon, with a shocked expression, saying it had dispatched an urgent message to the developers. I couldn't tell if it was from the WHS Console itself of from StableBit Scanner. I can say that it would crash consistently after being in Advanced mode for a while but crashed only once if I stayed in the normal Disk Status mode.

Today, it told me there was an update, so I let it update itself. First thing I did after getting the Console started again was to try Advanced mode; so far, so good; maybe they fixed it.

Update: so far, the scanner seems to be working. It's almost finished all the drives in my WHS. It was crashing when I clicked the Advanced button in the Disk Status pane; not immediately, but after a while there would be this weird 'happy face' style icon, with a shocked expression, saying it had dispatched an urgent message to the developers. I couldn't tell if it was from the WHS Console itself of from StableBit Scanner. I can say that it would crash consistently after being in Advanced mode for a while but crashed only once if I stayed in the normal Disk Status mode.

Today, it told me there was an update, so I let it update itself. First thing I did after getting the Console started again was to try Advanced mode; so far, so good; maybe they fixed it.

So is this an Add-in we should try or are you still a guinea pig :o

So is this an Add-in we should try or are you still a guinea pig :o

I'm now using it. The crashing stopped with the update so, at this point, I have no reason to remove it. I like having something on my system that's monitoring the drives for issues and will actually test them on a schedule I can set. That said, it is still a beta product so you have to decide for yourself.

I'm now using it. The crashing stopped with the update so, at this point, I have no reason to remove it. I like having something on my system that's monitoring the drives for issues and will actually test them on a schedule I can set. That said, it is still a beta product so you have to decide for yourself.

I will give this a try tonight...I have a "suspect" drive in my pool and I would be interested in what it says.

I installed this on my v1 server last night.

I immediately regretted the decision as my Console would no longer open :(

Using RDP, I logged on to the server and tried to run the console - I was presented an error message explaining that the Console had failed to start due to an error with a DLL.

I assumed that this DLL error was related to StableBit scanner add-in but since I could not open the console, i decided to remove StableBit via the normal Windows Add Remove Programs route.

I uninstalled StableBit this way and then tried to enter the Console again - I was presented with the same error dialogue box - but this time I read it more carefully. It pointed to an error with a DLL related to the HomeServerSMART add-in : http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/Freebies/HomeServerSMART.aspx

The error dialogue box prompted me to run the console with this add-in disabled, which I did.

I then opened the console and removed the HomeServerSMART add-in.

I then had to download the Asoft Addin cleanup tool http://www.asoft.be/prod_addincleanup.html

I was able to remove the orphan entry for StableBit scanner from my console (left there due to my having to remove StableBit Scanner via Windows Add Remove Programs).

Feeling brave - I then re-installed StableBit Scanner and it appears to be working ok.

Moral of the story - DONT use this Addin if you have the HomeServerSMART addin installed !!!!!!

PS I have version 1.0.0.2405

Greg

Edited by gregby

Moral of the story - DONT use this Addin if you have the HomeServerSMART addin installed !!!!!!

Interesting. I'm running both. Maybe it was the order I installed in, which I don't remember :(

PS I have version 1.0.0.2405

I have version 1.0.0.2314, but I just noticed it is prompting to install 1.0.0.2405, so I installed it and the Console still opens. I had to retry about 5 times to get a new license for 1.0.0.2405, but it did finally get one.

My version of HomeServer SMART is 1.1.36.6.