RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Potential WHS 2011 Server Backup Option

jvk

So I was thinking about how I'm going to keep my server backed up. The backup function is great, but I want to have a backup drive off site incase something happens to my server. Then I saw hard drive docks like this one. Basically you just pop in a drive or two at the top and valla, instant external hard drive via USB or eSATA. This could work for me since my total pooled data is less than 1TB. I'm thinking of running two drives, one will be plugged into my WHS 2011 box, and the other will be offsite. Every week or so I would switch them out so I always have a disc offsite. Has anyone used hard drive docks before? Is sneekernet a viable backup solution?

jvk

Edited by jvk

So I was thinking about how I'm going to keep my server backed up. The backup function is great, but I want to have a backup drive off site incase something happens to my server. Then I saw hard drive docks like this one. Basically you just pop in a drive or two at the top and valla, instant external hard drive via USB or eSATA. This could work for me since my total pooled data is less than 1TB. I'm thinking of running two drives, one will be plugged into my WHS 2011 box, and the other will be offsite. Every week or so I would switch them out so I always have a disc offsite. Has anyone used hard drive docks before? Is sneekernet a viable backup solution?

jvk

I bought a cheap $20 one off of Newegg last year and did what you are talking about for several months last year. Then grew tired of it and quit. So it works if you are willing to keep up with it. I haven't been doing anything for offsite back up since but I did buy crashplan last week. Now I just need to install it.

jvk

I've been using Thermaltake external docks for quite a while (see http://homeserversho...up/page__st__20). I use them in eSATA mode mostly. One is used to hold drives while they get scanned by SpinRite; a second is used to hold my WHS off-site backup drives (as per the post link). I like them very much.

Edited by ikon

I just tryed this however there is one flaw. The built in backup in WHS 2011 is designed (poorly) to only run daily so you effectively can not set weekly or monthly schedules. You can wait till the error message but otherwise you have to turn off, then back on again when you want to backup. I love WHS 2011 but the backup is the worst peice of junk I have seen in awhile. To effectively do what you are you asking will take something like acronis that has a "real" scheduler.

I just tryed this however there is one flaw. The built in backup in WHS 2011 is designed (poorly) to only run daily so you effectively can not set weekly or monthly schedules. You can wait till the error message but otherwise you have to turn off, then back on again when you want to backup. I love WHS 2011 but the backup is the worst peice of junk I have seen in awhile. To effectively do what you are you asking will take something like acronis that has a "real" scheduler.

That kinda sucks.

How about setting up a Scheduled Task that 1) turns on the built-in backup, runs the backup, then turns the backup off again; use the Scheduler in Scheduled Tasks to accomplish it?