RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Re purposing old WHS2011 N40L

Windows 7 Pro needs to go on an MBR disk, limiting maximum size to a 2TB partition ...

... but other data disks can be GPT and thus any size.

My machines are typically 2+8+8+8 in the 4 bays.

If you have a spare license for W7 then it will still be eligible for a free upgrade to W10 ...

... or you can go for: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3562330/windows-10-pro-deal-80-percent-off.html

HAND(isk)

On 11/20/2020 at 11:17 PM, JackoUK said:

Windows 7 Pro needs to go on an MBR disk, limiting maximum size to a 2TB partition ...

... but other data disks can be GPT and thus any size.

My machines are typically 2+8+8+8 in the 4 bays.

If you have a spare license for W7 then it will still be eligible for a free upgrade to W10 ...

... or you can go for: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3562330/windows-10-pro-deal-80-percent-off.html

HAND(isk)

That is great, thanks !! I've got an OS SSD plus a 4TB HD in the OD slot and the 4 main slots, plus a spare W7 Pro license key, so it looks like I am ready to go.

Do I need to remove WHS2011 or can I just install W7 Pro over it? I've a number of utility installs like DrivePool / Scanner and PerfectDisk, so it would be good if they still ran.

go ahead and deactivate the drivepool/scanner licenses, then reinstall on your new build

covecube makes it very easy to transfer licenses to new installs

never heard of perfect disk

• Like 1
On 11/23/2020 at 1:51 AM, Al_Borges said:

go ahead and deactivate the drivepool/scanner licenses, then reinstall on your new build

covecube makes it very easy to transfer licenses to new installs

never heard of perfect disk

Currently the HDs are set up on B120i, so will that still be OK or do I have to switch to AHCI?