RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Re purposing old WHS2011 N40L

Moving away from WHS2011, it would be great to re-use it as a simple NAS / Storage device, so what is the most recent Windows OS that will install ?

schoondoggy

I believe Windows 10 will install, seems like there may have been a NIC driver issue, but I think that was resolved.

Linux may be a lighter load on the N40l. FreeNAS and Open Media Vault work well from a storage point of view. A standard Linux distribution may be a lighter load on the system. I loaded Ubuntu MATE on an older laptop, was impressed with the performance considering the age of the laptop. Not sure what you would need to do to MATE to get it to serve files.

Gorlock66

I can confirm W10, Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop & Server work. I currently have Ubuntu Server on my N54L as a Docker host. I have installed Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2019 (free, no GUI) on my two N40L. I mostly ran non-ECC RAM in the past, but all three have 16GB ECC RAM now. I have been slowly replacing all my server RAM with ECC as it comes available for a reasonable price on ebay. My tentative goal for the N40L is a failover scenario between them. One Ubuntu Server VM on each as a Docker host. I am also looking at Ansible-NAS as a shortcut. I have not had the time to do much. I have setup a Windows Server 2016 Standard VM as a DC on my main server and joined the two N40L to that domain for ease of management/ configuration. This is all early days/ proof of concept and not a high priority for what little spare time I have to tinker. I do not run a domain for anything else in my household.

No worries; the original generations of HP Microservers: N36, N40, N54 took all versions and updates of Windows from 7 to the very latest 10, as far as my experience goes. The glitch to which SD refers was a network issue for the GEN8 Microserver on a specific Windows 8 update, solved by a driver release from HP.

My music library is still running happily on an N36L device, which must be coming up to its 10th anniversary.

If one only wants a file server then the available 100MBs+ transfer rate is constrained by Ethernet and disk bandwidth, not the rest of the server.

Remote administration, not so fast.

VGA port built in.

eSATA too on a N36.

At the original retail price of £100-150 available regularly in the UK, I consider the first few Microserver editions to be something of a classic offering, along with the first dual and quad core INTEL machines c2007. Put in an DVD drive for old times sake, I say!

• Like 1

Ahhh.. the venerable 7th gen HP Microserver.... Still got 3 running... an Untangle firewall, Windows Server 2019 DNS/DHCP, and a 4+1 bay XPEnology NAS.

And as nrf mentioned, it does have a built-in VGA port.

I do have a question: Does it support 8 or 12TB drives?

8TB drives in service here ...

... as a BIOS machine the 1st (boot) disk must be <2TB ...

... but declaring other disks with GPT partitioning ...

... the sky is the limit. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, JackoUK said:

8TB drives in service here ...

... as a BIOS machine the 1st (boot) disk must be <2TB ...

... but declaring other disks with GPT partitioning ...

... the sky is the limit. 

Thanks. If I install Win 7 Pro, can I still use GPT partitioning or do I have to stick with MBR?