RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

StableBit Drive Pool Add In for WHS2011

jam3ohio

If every little company in the world thought that we would have zero innovation. Who am I to say a little guy can't code up a DE app? Maybe MS did it wrong. I say twirl that sling shot David. Goliath is in your cross hairs!

I would further add that perhaps a fresh eye is what was needed. Perhaps someone can see what M.S. couldn't

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• jam3ohio

• ikon

• kermi

Top Posters In This Topic

I am all for these guys trying to make this add-in and I hope they are successful. It's just going to be a LONG time before I would trust any real data to something like this.

The problem for with something like this, is I can set up and test box and run it for a while and it just might work. But it's those problems down the road that don't appear right away that worry me. Also, how would the uninstall of something like this happen once you have grown your storage a good bit.

The little guy often can do things the big guys can't and just because someone else failed doesn't mean you shouldn't try. I wish these guys luck and I look forward to reading about everyone else's experiences with the product. :D

Is anyone other than me having a real problem with their website? I hope my data isn't mangled that badly.

Like Drive Bender, I love the idea, (Just like I loved the same idea in WHS v1) but I need to see some test results before I try it with "production" data.

I'll save most of this for Tuesday

Do we care if it will run business apps? As long as the throughput is good enough for some high bitrate Blu-Ray and you don't mangle a single file I say go for it. Develop away!

Yes! If I wanted to provide a low cost client backup solution for SMB or SOHO that would be an additional selling point. I also do not want to trust my priceless data to some 3rd dev with no previous market or support experience. Using it is just asking for trouble. Would you trust a never heard of out of left field Android app protect your data?

If every little company in the world thought that we would have zero innovation. Who am I to say a little guy can't code up a DE app? Maybe MS did it wrong. I say twirl that sling shot David. Goliath is in your cross hairs!

I'm all for privateer Devs looking to find a niche product market. But I'm pretty sure MS knows when to give up on a lost cause by now. (longhorn, vista, windows mobile, drive extender)

An Android / WHS comparison? Your confusing me. You want it to run business apps but you don't trust it to run yourself.

Dave--

I think he's getting at the no-reputation issue with the dev. I would be very hesitant to allow someone with no track record to manage the storage tech for my data without extensive testing. The risk is too high.

Jim

I won't disagree with that. The comparison was off. DE is not for business apps. I would assume any add-in these guys come up with would probably be in the same situation. All I'm saying is let them get the add-in out then you can test it and speak your peace. Give them a rope and see what they do with it.

I won't disagree with that. The comparison was off. DE is not for business apps. I would assume any add-in these guys come up with would probably be in the same situation. All I'm saying is let them get the add-in out then you can test it and speak your peace. Give them a rope and see what they do with it.

Yeah. Mind you, I consider my personal data every bit as important as my business data; it's not 2nd class to me. That said, let's see what they come up with.

Remember, Jim is obviously a drobo guy. I keep waiting to hear he is leaving the podcast to start up a drobo podcast.

Hopefully John will keep up the MS disgust for us.