RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup Drive Recommendations

mrossco

Recently picked up a Startech SATADOCK525. I'm not a big fan of having cables and junk coming out of my home server, so I'd thought use this, some inexpensive 3.5" SATA drives and a carrier for backups. An internal solution would be far cleaner and faster than the USB solution I was using before.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817998048&Tpk=SATADOCK525

What I'm not sure about is drives. I think a 5400 RPM drive would be fine as all I'll be doing is sequential reads and writes, but I'm not sure what would have good sustained throughput. Any recommendations on a solid 1-2TB drive? I'm usually a WD guy, but I'd be willing to expand...

I am also a WD drive fan also. Not sure what OS you are using but I really like the EARS drive for Win7, Server 2008, or WHS 2011. I have also had great luck with these on RAID. IF you are using it for V1, I am a fan for EADS. Both perform great and proven reliabilty. My two cents. To many issues with Seagate.

Ah, thank you Startech for making it more difficult. I'm guessing the "2x2.5" comes through the use of an adapter. I didn't see one in the box, but then again, I wasn't looking for it. It's basically no different than one of those desktop hotswap drive docks from Thermaltake, but in a 5.25" bay form.

Not trying to RAID these drives. Instead, I'm thinking of treating 3.5" drives as backup tapes. Will use these in my v1 server initially, but will migrate the process to my 2011 setup once it RTMs.

@pcdoc...any opinion on Green vs. Blue WD drives? Since these drives won't be always on, I'm less concerned about power savings and more about sequential read-write performance.

Guest no-control

2x 2.5 = 1 inthe 2.5 slot 1 in the 3.5 slot

Same drives you have in the V1 server. No performance gain using a faster drive as you're limited on the server side.