RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

I can't wait for Media Center on my WHS, so I'll just install it. Sort of:

diehard

I bought a EX490. so before I unload my EX470(BE-2300), I wanted to see what else I can do with it.

I'm low on cash so I'll have to use what hardware I already have. Since I have a 360, I installed Windows 7 Pro on my EX470. It went quite well. Windows 7 is supposed to be hardware independant. So I put the hard drive in my 64bit Shuttle and started the install on that box since it has a DVD drive. Once it had to reboot, I transfered the drive to my EX470. I hacked together a VGA cable and configured the rest. I set it up for best performance instead of best visual since it will be headless. But I'll be syncing it with my 360.

Now I can have 4 big drives in that thing, I can set it up to backup to my EX490. So instead of having 4 drives on the EX490 with my media and then enable duplication and lose 1/2 my storage space, I'll have the media on my EX470MCE box and backed up to the EX490. There is my duplication. And I'll have Media Center.

I'll let this setup run for a while and see how that goes. Then I'll try installing an embeded FreeNas on the EX470's 256MB internal flash.

John (homeservershow).

ah cskenney,

Your a loyal fan, you remember that. :-)

I pulled that out since I might unload that box. Now it doesn't have to be in the same room as my TV. I'm now syncing my EX470 with the 360, but now what sucks is that the 360 obviously draws more power, but you do get the MCE experience. The con is that it's not silent like the popcorn.

We'll have to see what the popbox hardware looks like. Maybe one day hack that if I buy one. I'll have to wait and see all the different DLNA boxes coming out this year from CES.

COME ON MICROSOFT ADD MCE TO WHS.

John (homeservershow).