RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Switching from eero to orbi?

Ncage1974

Guys i currently have a eero system (2nd gen). I have 1 eero pro + 2 eero Becons. I really like the eero. Stable as heck. I've had them for probably 2 years and the things just never go down. I'm big on updates and they usually update every month and i don't hardly know the update. The updates have been rock solid. There is no end in sight for updates which i love. When you switch from node to node when moving through my house it has been seamless. I have a relatively large house 2700 sqft. The speed on the eero system is i would say ok. I just did a speed test before posting this. I have 300mbit comcast service. From the top level of my house (internet is in the basement) i'm getting ~90mbit. I tested a wired system and its ~350mbit. So i wouldn't say the eero is a speed monster. I have had to call their support before (before they got bought out by amazon) and it was A++ excellent.

So i want to move to Wifi6. I have the ability to get a new Orbi AX4200 3pk for a little over $400. Honestly if i could get a 3pk of Eero Wifi6 pro for ~$400 that is the way i would go but they are ~$600. Honestly from what i read the Orbi are Monsters and i'd probably get greater wifi coverage but their is a lot more than just coverage.

1. Are they stable or can they be flakey? Reliability is super important to me.

2. How good is the update situation with Orbi? Do the seem to forget about them after a couple years and you are left with a router that doesn't get updated any more and your on your own with any security vulnerabilities (my last netgear router had lots of them)? Honestly years ago i had one of their nighthawk routers. With the companies firmware it was trash but of course when i switched it to dd-wrt it was great. Do the automatically update seamlessly or is user intervention required? I've heard the app is kind of junk but just long as its somewhat serviceable thats fine. The eero app of course is excellent.

3. Is switching between nodes pretty seemless? I don't want to go back to the days of how hacky wifi extenders felt.

On 11/9/2020 at 1:21 PM, Ncage1974 said:

Guys i currently have a eero system (2nd gen). I have 1 eero pro + 2 eero Becons. I really like the eero. Stable as heck. I've had them for probably 2 years and the things just never go down. I'm big on updates and they usually update every month and i don't hardly know the update. The updates have been rock solid. There is no end in sight for updates which i love. When you switch from node to node when moving through my house it has been seamless. I have a relatively large house 2700 sqft. The speed on the eero system is i would say ok. I just did a speed test before posting this. I have 300mbit comcast service. From the top level of my house (internet is in the basement) i'm getting ~90mbit. I tested a wired system and its ~350mbit. So i wouldn't say the eero is a speed monster. I have had to call their support before (before they got bought out by amazon) and it was A++ excellent.

So i want to move to Wifi6. I have the ability to get a new Orbi AX4200 3pk for a little over $400. Honestly if i could get a 3pk of Eero Wifi6 pro for ~$400 that is the way i would go but they are ~$600. Honestly from what i read the Orbi are Monsters and i'd probably get greater wifi coverage but their is a lot more than just coverage.

1. Are they stable or can they be flakey? Reliability is super important to me.

2. How good is the update situation with Orbi? Do the seem to forget about them after a couple years and you are left with a router that doesn't get updated any more and your on your own with any security vulnerabilities (my last netgear router had lots of them)? Honestly years ago i had one of their nighthawk routers. With the companies firmware it was trash but of course when i switched it to dd-wrt it was great. Do the automatically update seamlessly or is user intervention required? I've heard the app is kind of junk but just long as its somewhat serviceable thats fine. The eero app of course is excellent.

3. Is switching between nodes pretty seemless? I don't want to go back to the days of how hacky wifi extenders felt.

I am in the same camp as you, I demand my gear works well and gets regular updates and is why I switched from Asus wireless routers to Synology RT2600 and MR2200, Security and regular updates are front & center with Synology. If you haven't taken a look at them then please do. On top of them working very well they have many advanced features and security built in and all for free, where others would charge for them