RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jmwills

Inexpensive RAID Testing

jmwills

NewEgg has these Western Digital Blue 160 gig drives for $19.99. Now, these are recertified drives but it will allow you to do some very cheap testing on a new build. We talk about mirroring the OS, test away.

I would not use these for the final build but for a test box, heck yes.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

If it is a mirror, then what does it matter given the odds are both would not fail at the same time.

My concern with these small drives is that a year or two from now they may not even be available. What happens then when one crashes? Are you SOL given for raid they are to be the same size.

jmwills

I've never seen both drives fail in a RAID 1 configuration....never. You could always add a larger drive back to the array but you would lose anything over the 160 initial limit.

Again...I said for TESTING.

dvn

Are you SOL given for raid they are to be the same size.

They don't have to be the same size. The replacement drive would have to as big, or bigger.

roddy

I've never seen both drives fail in a RAID 1 configuration....never. You could always add a larger drive back to the array but you would lose anything over the 160 initial limit.

Again...I said for TESTING.

I actually have seen both drives in a RAID 1 fail. At times like those, you have to wonder if there really is such a thing as a preordained fate to spend several days rebuilding and restoring. :D

Just an opinion for anyone thinking of using these disks in production: yes you can usually rebuild a RAID 1 without data loss, but that doesn't mean you want to rely on that any more than you have to. I've found it's a good idea not to use "potentially troublesome" disks for production data that you care enough about to put in a RAID 1.

kermi

I actually have seen both drives in a RAID 1 fail. At times like those, you have to wonder if there really is such a thing as a preordained fate to spend several days rebuilding and restoring. :D

Just an opinion for anyone thinking of using these disks in production: yes you can usually rebuild a RAID 1 without data loss, but that doesn't mean you want to rely on that any more than you have to. I've found it's a good idea not to use "potentially troublesome" disks for production data that you care enough about to put in a RAID 1.

All it needs to ruin both drives in raid1 array is an (in)convinient power surge...

Dave

Poor Op. Testing. I got it.