RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

PCI-E -> internal SATA for N54L?

fuzebox

Hello there! I'm a bit late to the game lets say, and i just got a HP Proliant N54L Microserver very cheap. It even came with 4x2tb drives, an extra 1gbps network card and the P212 sas card.

I plan on putting my 8tb desktop hdd and one or two SSDs in there as well, possibly using ICY Dock MB322TP-B.

What i want to achieve with this is a Linux server with ZFS, NFS or samba and Ansible-NAS running a few services. I wont be running ESXi, tough FreeNAS is still on the table as it is open source. However i am a 20 year plus Linux user on desktop, laptop and home servers. Never any enterprise or actual professional stuff.

Afaik the P212 SAS card cant handle more than 4 drives? And even if i can id rather just use an internal PCI-E to 10x internal sata card. I see little to no advantage of using raid for my use case.

My question is; will this Delock pcie-sata card work in the N54L? I happened to read somewhere that some boards wont accept it. A 8 or even 6 slot card would be acceptable as well, if you guys happen to know of one that works, and preferably is a bit cheaper.

Or, can you guys recommend another setup that fits my criteria? Can i use the SAS card and connect at least one more drive than the 4 i have, and not use the raid functions, get the drives as separate block devices and use ZFS and make pools.

Oh, also would it be possible to throw a 40mm fan on top of the CPU heat spreader? Is there a fan connector available or a good way to have it run slow all the time?

I've read a lot on this forum and you guys are awesome, here's to hope someone on here can provide some good answers!

fuzebox
8 minutes ago, Taffeys said:

Been there, done that. Use a LSI 9240-8i 6Gbps SAS HBA or IBM/LSI M1015 in IT mode. Look here.. LSI-9240-8i

Oh well thank you ill look into that. Any quirks or problems with going that route?

Edit: Wow those are about 3 times the price i payed for the whole system.

I was hoping to go with something like this pcie-sata 8x but the question remains if it is compatible.

Edited by fuzebox
New info
Taffeys

1 hour ago, fuzebox said:

Oh well thank you ill look into that. Any quirks or problems with going that route?

Edit: Wow those are about 3 times the price i payed for the whole system.

I was hoping to go with something like this pcie-sata 8x but the question remains if it is compatible.

42 USD? Good luck then.

I ran ZFS on NAS4Free (now XigmaNAS ) with six HDs and two SSDs on mine. I would strongly advise placing a fan on the LSI 9240 processor. 

fuzebox

What do you mean 42 usd and good luck? :) System is fine, the seller just wanted to get rid of it asap and it was all i had in my pocket :D

Really all i want to figure out is if a normal pcie->sata card will work at all, and if there is a performance bottleneck going with that as the cheaper and more straight forward option, rather than a pretty expensive all out raid card. Especially since i wont be doing raid, i see no reason to go for a raid card in it mode. Not that i know exactly what that is yet...

Taffeys

Good luck with your sata card search then. Maybe someone else here has some input but almost everyone on this board that had a N54L has moved on.

fuzebox

Yes, i kinda figured. Im pretty late to the game as stated. I got the system hoping at first i could put a mITX in it, but that seems pretty much impossible as i found out after i bought it out of thinkers lust or smt.

Perhaps i should just run it in raid for now and put together a custom system myself.

Thanks for your input.

And if anyone else has any input id appreciate it still!

Taffeys
1 hour ago, fuzebox said:

What do you mean 42 usd and good luck?

I meant the HBA and cables I linked to is only $42, which is quite cheap. And good luck finding something for less.

fuzebox

Oh alright, i just checked a local site and it was more like $250 in SEK. Tough a second hand one i found for about $45 so perhaps ill get that.

Taffeys

Since this Microserver is an unknown I would strongly advise you to get it running as-is and see how it performs before spending anymore funds on it. If it is fully functional I would then expand memory and storage capacity and chose an OS that can support your desired performance. I went to a max'd out Dell T30 server after the N54L.

And have you upgraded the bios yet? 

Of course, my advise is worth what you paid for it.