RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server Folders & Shared Folders

maxstacks

I have WHS 2011 running on a test system with 3 1TB drives available.

Can someone give me a run down on folder management. I see server folders and I read about shared folders. Some folders are on the D drive but some are 'missing'

All in all very confusing.

Thanks.

If you have missing folders you can click it and there will be an option to restore the folder. It won't restore missing data but rather allow you to regenerate that folder on a drive of your choice.

Your D drive is most likely the remaining space on the drive that the OS is installed to. You can move them to another drive if you want. Make sure all your drives are formatted and showing in the drives tab. If they are new drives check your alerts and it will allow you to format them from the alert.

If you have missing folders you can click it and there will be an option to restore the folder. It won't restore missing data but rather allow you to regenerate that folder on a drive of your choice.

Your D drive is most likely the remaining space on the drive that the OS is installed to. You can move them to another drive if you want. Make sure all your drives are formatted and showing in the drives tab. If they are new drives check your alerts and it will allow you to format them from the alert.

Thank you however my question was asking for an explanation of server folders and shared folders.

Thanks again. We are obviously going off at a tangent. please don't worry about the missing folders or error messages. It's test system and I'm testing. What I wanted to focus on is if anybody understands the difference between what WHS 2011 calls server folders and what WHS 2011 calls shared folders. I thought maybe these folders were part of the 'new' drive management system. Server folders are NOT in WHS 1.

The parent folder named "folders" is most definitely in WHSv1. You will find it on the D drive and they look to be either a pointer or at least a reference point to the duplicated data or shared folders.