RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help moving from IDE mode to AHCI

Hi,

My Gen8 is currently set up in a very basic configuration.

I have 4 drives in the main bays but because I couldn't find a way to get my 8tb drive to boot in AHCI mode (it complains about not having a 48bit driver), I had to resort to IDE mode to get it to work at all.

I have recently discovered that the 48bit issue may be resolved if I try the 8tb in bay 3 or 4, so I'd like to give AHCI a go again.

My worry, though, is that turning it on in the BIOS and rebooting will wipe drives rather than leave them as they are. Is this likely?

schoondoggy

Changing from IDE to AHCI should not wipe your drives. Although you should have a clean back up prior to making any changes. You should update to the latest BIOS. Are you only using the four front bays or do you have a drive connected to the fifth SATA port?  

Just the four main ones at the moment. I have an SSD that I intend to stick in the 5th port and boot from USB. That's phase 2 once I get the 4 drives booting in AHCI mode.

You can turn on AHCI mode, it won't wipe anything. Linux will pick up the change at boot and you won't have to touch anything. I've done it countless times.

IDE to AHCI (or the other way round)  is problematic in windows, not in Linux.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice so far. Unfortunately I've fallen at the first hurdle. Moving the drive to bay 3 made no difference and the error is still there.

"No 48 bit LBA support, so this drive won't work in AHCI mode"

It's been this way for years but I was hoping to get to the bottom of it as I'm forced in to legacy mode at present. Is there anything I can do?