RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Separate NAS for surveillance cameras?

TheGuru

Hi,

I’m running a Synology NAS (the cute little DS620Slim) and want to add at least 3 cameras to it. 

Question: should I buy a 2nd NAS for the cameras only or is it just fine having everything in one box?

Thoughts?

Bjorn

Edited by TheGuru
itGeeks

I had a Synology 1812p and was running 6 1080p cameras with a bunch of other packages running and it never missed a beat. Took a quick look at the spec for your unit and Synology claims it will support up to 25 cameras @720p so I am sure you will be just fine.

• Like 1
itGeeks

I never had any problems with security. I do lock things down and use two-factor authentication. What concerns do you have?

On a side note if your unit has 2 or more NICs you could setup 1 for camera on a separate VLAN, also disable the camera's for connecting to the internet directly, only allow the Synology NVR to access internet, all cameras run threw it and you only access the camera threw Synology... this will prevent the Chinese cameras from dialing home and or installing Spyware. What brand of camera are you using?

As standard practice I only allow my clients on my network to access my DNS and block all other DNS, this prevents any clients from bypassing my security and filters. I use a Synology router for this, if you haven't looked at them you should, there awsome. Lots of security features built in all for free

Edited by itGeeks
  • Like 1
TheGuru

@itGeeksThat was kinda what I had in mind. My cams are 100% Chinese (HIKvision) so I think I’d go with your suggestions, simply isolating the cameras. Thanks for that.

That should do it.

The Synology DS620Slim that I have, do have dual Ethernet ports :)

I’m using a Ubiquiti gateway (the Ubiquiti UniFi USG Security Gateway ) and it has a ton of features too.

I probably would have taken a look at the Synology router if I were to look for a new router solution, but the Ubiquti stuff, paired with a handful of Ubiquiti access points works very well for me.

All of the cameras are Ethernet-based, PoE, so it should be fairly easy to set up.