RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SSD as OS Disk and Size requirements for 2011

mar2k

1. Is there a minimum OS disk size for Vail installation? I created a 40GB fixed disk (same as the SSD I would install) in VirtualBox and the setup crashes after I select the disk.

2. Any downside to using SSD as the OS disk? I for one would prefer it since there shouldn't be excessive writes to the OS drive. I had a v1 OS disk crash and it was a pain in the a&@ to get it back up. The shares were all there, but now I use SSD as the boot disk on all my builds.

3. Any threads about this?

Thanks Guys.

A 160Gig drive for the install is the minimum. As afar as using the SSD drive for the OS, I don't really see the need. There is no cost benefit yet....in my opinion. I would use WD Black Caviar drives.

Definitely not a cost benefit if you have to use a 160GB SSD, but if they allowed you to use a 40GB SSD for the OS, it would be worthwhile for reliability.

This is one case where I would not use an SSD. As was stated, a caviar black is a better choice. Once it boots into the OS unless you are Ram starved, it runs quite well.

Having owned several SSDs I wouldn't use it for mission critical applications like a server o/s. Sure a mirror helps mitigate this but still....