RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen10 Service Pack 2020.09.0

So the latest Gen10 Plus Service Pack was released.  Updated my system using the LAUNCH_SUM.BAT method.  Unfortunately now, since updating my system, I'm getting iLO ATA alerts constantly.  Had to turn off iLO Email Alerts completely.  I'm getting ATA drive status UNKNOWN (Informational) and REPAIRED messages repeatedly.  The drives themselves are fine.  Might want to hold off on this latest Service Pack for now.

EVENT (08-Oct-2020 00:02): ATA disk drive status is now [UNKNOWN] for drive 50
ACTION: If the disk drive status is smartError, failed or wearout then replace the drive.

Integrated Management Log Severity:REPAIRED

Hmm, cheers for the heads up. I wonder if this is HP again being over-zealous with anything being used other than HPE drives. 

Edited by GarethC

Np.  I don't believe I can easily and cleanly rollback now.  As a workaround, I've turned off all iLO e-mail alerting else I get one ATA hard drive alert a second.  It's ridiculous.  Since these drives have been working reliably until the service pack was applied, I'm confident they are fine.  HPE Support hasn't been very helpful, obviously deflecting to the hardware and not the fact that their iLO alerts is referencing drive IDs like 50 and 84 that show up in no such place anywhere else in their iLO logging.  Also, it's not possible to just disable SMART hard drive alerting anywhere that I could find in either iLO or the Gen10 Plus BIOS.  So this was my only option it seemed.

The fan in my ML110 G7 ramps up excessively because I run non-HPE drives in it, its totally unnecessary and renders the server useless in a home or office environment as its FAR too noisy.  Thankfully i only use it for backup purposes but its very annoying, especially when i perform my tape backups and have to listen to it for many hours. 

Because the fan wiring is HP specific you can’t simply change the fan for a quieter alternative as the BIOS then prevents the system from remaining powered up.

Ugh. That too is disappointing. Does anyone know whether it’s possible to completely downgrade a HPE service pack version by launching launch_sum.bat and forcing every item listed? So it downgraded all drivers and firmware?

FYI - HPE support has since confirmed:

1.) the alerts I'm receiving since 2020.09.0 Gen10 Plus Service Pack are false alerts per the diagnostics I've collected for them

2.) yes, it is possible to downgrade to a prior service back using the launch_sum.bat method (admin cmd prompt) and setting all inventory items to FORCE, including any bios/firmware choices

3.) while it isn't currently possible to enable iLO email alerts except for HDD Smart alerts (it's all or nothing currently); they are passing this suggestion on to their engineering team for consideration in future iLO update.

Based on this feedback, I'm now less concerned and will remain on the latest Oct 2020 Gen10 Plus Service Pack with iLO Email Alerts disabled, in the event there are other bugfixes contained within.

I'll update mine today and see how I get on. I don't currently have alerts enabled so it won't effect me if I encounter the same problem. 

Yes I get the same results but like I said I have alerting off anyway, but it would be nice to be able to turn it on without getting these. 

Edited by GarethC
Yes I get the same results but like I said I have alerting off anyway, but it would be nice to be able to turn it on without getting these. 

Sorry to hear. If you wouldn’t mind opening a support ticket, we can ensure this is fixed. The ILO email alerts are quite useful except when you receive false positives once per second.