Has anyone around here been successful in setting up Proxmox on a Gen8 using a HBA for storage?
Looking for a quick answer here from someone in the know...
I upgraded some of the internals of my Gen8 server and at the same time I did a BIOS reset as I had forgotten the password that I had set years ago. When booting back up the upgraded hardware was detected and fine but I received Error 1784 - Drive Array - Logical Drive Failure. I believe this is due to a setting change in the BIOS and not anything hardware related. I have gone into IP/SSA and see the array needs to be rebuilt. I had all drives configured as single RAID0. It says all data will be lost if I reconfigure this but I remember reading somewhere on here that the data will be fine if I reconfigure as RAID0.
I do have a backup of course, but it’s not a high availability mirror and will take some time to get back the way I had it, so just want to know if it’s safe to reconfigure the RAID0 without erasing the drives. I have tried pulling the drives out and connecting them to another PC and they are fine. Can anyone tell me which options to choose to get these back to normal and remove the flashing red light?
A few questions for those who use Type-1 Hypervisors on their Gen8 MicroServers...
I am looking to try ESXi or ProxMox and have been reading a lot of the threads on here.
Hopefully you guys can help with some harder to find answers I have been seeking.
1) Which would be the better way to setup ProxMox:
a) Hypervisor on Internal MicroSD, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
b) Hypervisor on Internal USB, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
c) Hypervisor and VMs both installed on same SSD (partitioned?) in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
d) Hypervisor on SSD using a USB-to-SATA cable on Internal USB, VMs installed on separate SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
2) Would a 128GB SSD be a ‘waste‘ for installing a Hypervisor on? How much space is typically needed?
3) How many VMs have you guys run on a Gen8 comfortably without it being sluggish?
4) Everyone seems to be going RAID crazy these days. Is there any reason to use it if high-availability is not that necessary and a good backup plan is in place? What is wrong with separate disks (or singular Raid0s)?
5) Does using Type-1 Hypervisors have any effect on the internal fans speed/noise? Is it possible to have 3-5 VMs running and still have the fan speed @~8% as it was when I was using 2 nested (Type-2) VMs?
Sorry in advance if some of these questions are silly, common knowledge, or “depends on what you are doing in the VMs!” 😆
Thanks in advance to all those that help!
By Mark Belanger
I'm new to the HPMSG8 world and so far I'm loving it. I have a stock Xeon with 16G of aftermarket memory with iLO patched to 2.70. Next up is adding a RAID card, so I can put my boot SSD on the onboard RAID. I picked up a LSI SAS9211-8i on Amazon, but am struggling to flash it to IT mode on the MicroServer. Is this even possible? Unfortunately, the only other system I have with PCI slots is 32-bit.
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
I've got my hands on a HP N40L.
Can i use raid 1+0 on my 4 2TB WD RED or only 1 and 0.
Thanks for the help.