RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Trig0r

Meh, disk gone US..

Trig0r

Just put my 4 drives, that were working fine into the new server build, seemed to take longer to boot that expected..

Go into device manager, can see all 4 storage drives, look in the Disk Management and I've got 1 drive saying its not initialized..

Anyone tried to recover partition tables from a drive without having to go down the buying recovery software route?

Yes, I know I should have a backup, I'm pretty sure I had folder duplication turned on for my important stuff but cba to transfer the other stuff back from my external sources so kicking this drive back into life would be quicker...

TheGuru

Have Hou checked UEFI settings? Was Secure boot enabled on the old one?

Trig0r

No secure boot or anything like that, the other 3 storage disks are fine, just this one showing that its an unknown disk that needs initializing, it knows its a 4Tb disk though so pretty sure its not an actual dead disk..

TheGuru

What about the RAID/AHCI settings in the BIOS? (assuming you’re using a standard-ish Intel-chipset-based motherboard. 
Are they set to the same on both machines?

Trig0r

I ran the cards on the same controller, 3 drives are fine, its just one thats dropped it MBR for some reason, just need to rebuild that and then run a recovery on the drive to get the data back..

Trig0r

Sooo, think it might be a dying drive afterall, it spins up for about 20 seconds then goes to sleep :(

TheGuru

Yeah. That doesn’t sound healthy. 

Could be a bad power connector from the PSU to the drive (or the drive’s power connector itself)

Trig0r

Yeah, just removed the drives pcb, cleaned it up and put it back on, drive is now back online..

Grabbing all of the data off of it for now though, will probably end up retiring the drive despite it having no SMART its 5+ years old...

TheGuru

Phew! Nice work 😎

• Haha 1

Trig0r

Nice work when all of the data is off of the drive..