RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Recent clean install

pslates

I installed WHS 2011 over the weekend after backing up my data and so far I like it better and consider most of it an improvement but it seems rather buggy to me. I have been using WHS V1 for years ever since its beta. One thing I do not understand is the alert viewer under dashbord. The thought is interesting but the messages never seem to go away even after the task is done and days have gone by. I find them quite annoying. I just restarted my sever to see if that would do anything but the alerts from days ago are still there even after installing the update days ago.

The other part that I am confused on is the remote web access. I happen to have a Linksys WRT54GL router and have the port forwarding setup and a fixed ip address for my server, as I have for years, but I am told that port forwarding is not enabled. I can go to the web address of the server just fine from my work but the only thing strange about that is once I am logged on I do not seem to be able to logon the server as in WHS V1.

The look and use of data via the remote web access is a huge improvement. One other part that I don't care for is how the backup drive is hidden and cannot be read on another computer. I understand how it is safer being hidden on the server but what is the purpose of not being able to recovered or accessed on another computer. The only advantage I can think of is if it would be stolen. Certainly backing up the OS and client backups is a huge improvement.

I have been using KeepVault so I will be happy when there is a version of it for WHS 2011. I love how it immediately backs up files as they are copied to the server. I have used one of my hard drives as a backup up for WHS 2011 but I have not learned how to swap them each week or so. Overall I like it and see it as am improvement and I am sure it will get much better with addons.

I also do not understand why the various web sites involving posting questions has seemed non existant. Is this becuse of the elimination of Drive Extender and the lack of users wanting to move to the 2011 version. I understand the love of DE but I belive with the added backup everything will be just fine if not better. I also would just like to say in closing that I love the WHS podcast and have listened to it for over a year now. Keep up the good work.

When you say a "fixed IP Address"..are you referring to an internal or external address? You will not be able to use Remote Web Access from inside your own local network. You will need to use RDP to access the physical server.

Port Forwarding is best setup manually in my opinion. Three ports to open and off you go. If you use UPnP to do this, turn it off afterwards.

When you say a "fixed IP Address"..are you referring to an internal or external address? You will not be able to use Remote Web Access from inside your own local network. You will need to use RDP to access the physical server.

Port Forwarding is best setup manually in my opinion. Three ports to open and off you go. If you use UPnP to do this, turn it off afterwards.

Possily the problem is that I have had port forwarding setup manually and UPnP turned on. The problem I have received is from trying the automatic settings in V2, I guess just to see what they did but was confused when it would return an error. I never thought to turn UPnP off, possibly that is my problem.

Does anyone know why there does not seem to be an active forum or a new category about this on the http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/ site.

Also regarding the removal of DE I remember the problem with that during the initial V1 beta and I lost some files during that. DE was certainly convenient but I would rather be safe than sorry. I do agree that this will make things more complicated for inexperienced users and even worse for making the home serve a common device in homes similiar to a media center pc, which I also have setup by myself. I am certainly glad I never bought a WHS from HP for example. I never could comprehend why they would not want vga port for example.

Edited by pslates