RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

best drive to add?

jpap33

Just curious if anyone has any opinions on which drive the best drive to add to the 495. I have one last spot open.... I have a green wd 2tb in there already in with and two 1tbs....

Anyone have any other suggestions before I got with the WD green one again?

Joe

To be honest i'd get whatever's the best price, i've got WD green, samsung and hitachi drives and neve had any problems with any of them.

Agreed. I'm cheap, so I'd go with that. That said, if the computer is a room shared with anything else, check the noise levels might not be a bad idea. The green drives usually some of the quietest, thanks to the slower spindle speed.

I'd definitely go with the green. They run cooler, which is a consideration in a full box.

I have a WD Green 1.5 TB on the way from Newegg. Hope to receive it tomorrow. I'm going to swap out the Seagate 1.5 TB that came with my EX495 because it idles 5-7C hotter than a 2nd drive in the unit, not to mention the fact that the Seagate already has a reallocated sector, which I'm a little bummed out about.

Get the green again. Had nothing but problems with seagate. I now have a total of 25 WD and 12 of them are the greens and they are great. Stick with a winner.

JPap33, what did you end up with? Did you join the WD camp as you should or did you defect to one of the other guys.