RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632 (0F12117) 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Too bad it is limited to one drive per person.

Also, would it make that much of a difference in WHS with 32MB vs. 64MB cache?

Probably not, but I view that like buying last years model. Maybe I am a current model or best model only snob.

Probably not, but I view that like buying last years model. Maybe I am a current model or best model only snob.

I am one for usually getting the better hardware but in reading info in regards to the 32MB vs. 64MB cache I don't believe there is a difference in the WHS environment. With that said and these drives not being Advanced Format I guess I would be better servered to utilze these drives over the WD Green drives.

I am one for usually getting the better hardware but in reading info in regards to the 32MB vs. 64MB cache I don't believe there is a difference in the WHS environment. With that said and these drives not being Advanced Format I guess I would be better servered to utilze these drives over the WD Green drives.

I couldn't agree more. You will never find a WD product in my house. I view them kind of like apple. Instead of trashing the drives that doesn't meet their specs, they just downgraded them to a cheaper version and called them green. Making people think they were good for the environment, really? Okay I exagerate a little. To me this is no different than selling a phone with a known defect and putting a bandaid on it. I don't conduct business with companies like that. Not in my personal life or my work life. They will just cause you headaches later. Sorry, I am off the soap box now.

Are Sata III drives backwards compatable?

Anyone know the answer to the question? If it is unclear, can I buy Sata III drives and connect them to a MB with Sata II ports? I don't want to buy back in technology because eventually my MB will have Sata III ports.

• 3 months later...

I just got my 3 in the mail.

1 has a manufacturing date of Dec 2010 and has firmware "180"

2 have a manufacturing date of Mar 2011 and have firmware "580"

Does anyone have a link for the updated firmware for my odd-duck? www.hitachigst.com doesn't have any helpful links other than "contact support and request it, but you better have a damn good reason".