RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
TheGuru

Are you running a mailserver on your own server anymore?

TheGuru

Hi!

I wonder if there still are anyone running a mailserver at home. Or has everyone moved to cloud-solutions? I'm still running and maintaining an Exchange server for family and a small-business using a custom domain. (I'm a sysadmin, so Exchange is relatively easy for me to manage).

But I'm trying to reduce my server-footprint and I am also trying to get rid of this time-consuming stuff. Basically, I've become a bit tired of being a sysadmin while at home as well as at work :)

So, am I going in the right direction? Have you skipped all of that a long time ago and moved to gmail?

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

Kind regards,

Bjorn

nrf

wow, you have some stamina to be doing that. I wouldn't even consider it given the challenges of fending off the monsters attacking a server with direct access to the internet.

TheGuru

True,

It’s a risky business. I do have an IDP system in front of the Exchange server and some  OK passwords on all of the accounts, but you’re right. Another reason to get out of this :)

Are you using your own e-mail domain or ?

Edited by TheGuru

nrf
1 hour ago, TheGuru said:

Are you using your own e-mail domain or ?

I haven't gotten that sophisticated. heard a lot about it but not a priority for me. got to keep the farm going and take care of family needs.

TheGuru
12 minutes ago, nrf said:

I haven't gotten that sophisticated. heard a lot about it but not a priority for me. got to keep the farm going and take care of family needs.

Ha ha :) You do look a little sophisticated when I look at your tag line (N45L, a T20, virtualbox...) :)

But thanks for your reply! Keep the farm going strong!

• Like 1

Trig0r

We run an inhouse exchange server at work, I'll be getting rid at some point as we're meant to be a professional business so a server failing, internet connection going down or something like that doesn't need to be something TPTB need to worry about.

callihan44

we dumped the exchange server back in 2016 and went the hosted exchange route, the mail server needed the most attention in the past . Cant really say I miss it but now my focus is to keep everyone connected who is remote working.