RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
TheGuru

Ubiquiti UniFi CloudKey - any good?

TheGuru

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to reduce my server footprint at home, but I do have some Ubiquiti stuff that needs a controller (a gateway, the small 8-port PoE switch and 3 APS').

Is they cloudkey any good? It has a weird name (marketing probably messed up the name....) ?

And does it, despite its name, works without any cloud setup, just like the Windows-installable controller?

https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-cloud-key/

Edited by TheGuru

TheGuru

Hmnm. No replies so far. 

From what I've read on their (Synology's) website, it requires a cloud login so it must be connected to the cloud somehow.

I've decided to use my Synology (DS620 Slim) as the server running the Unifi Controller software using a Docker container instead.

I was following this guide:

https://lazyadmin.nl/home-network/unifi-controller-on-a-synology-nas-with-docker/

After installing the controller and restoring the backup from my old controller, it didn't find any of the Ubiquiti equipment. 

I had to manually SSH into each of the (5) devices that I have and change the inform-URL to point to my Synology box:

set-inform http://192.168.1.5:8080/inform

After the change, the devices were picked up immediately by the new controller.

Dave

I've done that process a few times successfully as well.  I was having so many troubles with one controller that I had to write a script to do it to all the AP's!  I think I've also ran every single controller available.  I ended up with the Dream Machine which has it built in. It has been the most reliable for sure.  If I didn't have that I think I would get the gen 2.  Their first generation CK was a mess.

TheGuru
1 hour ago, Dave said:

I ended up with the Dream Machine which has it built in. It has been the most reliable for sure.  If I didn't have that I think I would get the gen 2.  Their first generation CK was a mess.

Thanks a lot for the input, @Dave. Glad I didn't jumped onboard the gen 1 controller then. It'll be exciting to see how the Ubiquiti controller @ mySynology will work out in terms of reliability then.

did recall an episode of the RESET podcast where you reviewed the DM. But it's darn expensive ($430 😬) But I love the ubi products. They are by far the most solid WiFi products i've ever come across (ok, the Cisco Aironet with dual controllers in our corporate enviroment also works fine, but we also spend $15K on that system...)

Jason

Am running their Cloudkey Gen 2+. Upgraded from their first Gen. Probably overkill for my needs. Didn’t have a Synology for until recently so never tried to run the controller from it. Didn’t know it was possible.

TheGuru
Just now, Jason said:

Am running their Cloudkey Gen 2+. Upgraded from their first Gen. Probably overkill for my needs. Didn’t have a Synology for until recently so never tried to run the controller from it. Didn’t know it was possible.

It does also require a Synology box that can run Containers. The cheapest Synologies cannot do so. Mainly the "+" models can.

Jason

Am running a DS1019+ strictly for backups. Runs container though I don’t run any. Other than an experiment, haven’t seen a need to migrate from CloudKey to a Synology container.

TheGuru
57 minutes ago, Jason said:

Am running a DS1019+ strictly for backups. Runs container though I don’t run any. Other than an experiment, haven’t seen a need to migrate from CloudKey to a Synology container.

My Synology is running a bunch of stuff.

• File services of course
  • Surveilliance cameras
  • A podcast-feed (I'm not podcasting - it was just for fun to see how to make a podcast stream work)
  • Backup of my oneDrive cloud data
  • Workstation backup, and now the
  • Ubiquiti Controller. Has been working like a charm so far.

But you're right, if you already have the CloudKey there's no need to migrate away from it. On the contrary.

BTW the DS1019+ is one hell of a machine :)

Edited by TheGuru
  • Like 2