RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anybody use mint.com?

Dave

I'm just curious if anyone uses mint.com for personal finance. We here at podcast HQ were in the MS Money camp and need to migrate to something new.

I'm just curious if anyone uses mint.com for personal finance. We here at podcast HQ were in the MS Money camp and need to migrate to something new.

Yes...I use it but in conjunction with Quicken. I mainly use it for access over my phone or if on the road. I also believe Mint is owned by Quicken and it replaced "Quicken on the web" or whatever it was called. I had thought they would integrate it better with Quicken but haven't seen it to date.

Tim

Yes...I use it but in conjunction with Quicken. I mainly use it for access over my phone or if on the road. I also believe Mint is owned by Quicken and it replaced "Quicken on the web" or whatever it was called. I had thought they would integrate it better with Quicken but haven't seen it to date.

Tim

Yes, it is owned by quicken. I have heard discussions that they may eliminate quicken and only mint would be available.

I moved to quicken once MS anounced they were eliminating Money. I did it before the upgraded migration tool so it was very painful. Quicken has some reporting features I like better than money but overall I hate it. Don't know if it is really that bad, or I just miss the way money worked. Quicken feels like a web app to me and I don't like web apps. Some of my other applications thinks it is a web app as well and it interferes with it at times. It is much better than manually tracking or tracking it with individual online accounts. So I would endorse it as the best solution out there.

We use mint, somewhat. Our household runs on a fairly strict budget and we pull cash out each month to pay for all non-bill related items. We use mint as a way to quickly see what the levels are of our various savings accounts (including the HSA), but that's about it.

Yes, it is owned by quicken. I have heard discussions that they may eliminate quicken and only mint would be available.

I moved to quicken once MS anounced they were eliminating Money. I did it before the upgraded migration tool so it was very painful. Quicken has some reporting features I like better than money but overall I hate it. Don't know if it is really that bad, or I just miss the way money worked. Quicken feels like a web app to me and I don't like web apps. Some of my other applications thinks it is a web app as well and it interferes with it at times. It is much better than manually tracking or tracking it with individual online accounts. So I would endorse it as the best solution out there.

Not sure how MS Money worked but I've been on Quicken since Quicken 1998 and prior to that I was using some prgram I can't remember on the Commodore Amiga. It is great for tracking expenses and organizing bills but it is only as good as what you put in. Prior to being married I would enter ever penny into the journals and was always amazed at what I was spending money on.

I'm not sure if I could move over to Mint alone but that maybe because I have so much invested already into Quicken.

I tried Mint (actually still have an active account) for a while after MS Money disappeared. Some problems I encountered.

1. There is no check field (if you still write checks) when you enter those expenditures.

2. The automatic sync with my bank is somewhat spotty (doesn't work most of the time).

3. The automatic sync with my credit card works about 30% of the time.

I decided the closest to MS Money was to actually buy Quicken but I don't like the way it does some of the scheduled transactions. I now do everything manually (in Quicken). It works good for balancing the books and keeping my wife's checking account balanced!

Mint is out then. I'm looking at Moneydance right now. I like the fact that it's not bloated like quicken and some of the other guys. I use quickbooks for business but this one looks good. It will be the "boss's" decision though!

I have been on Quicken since the DOS version. I don't upgrade with each version, but do about every other one or so. I have all my main accounts liked to their bank, credit card or investment and therefore have almost all of my transactions downloaded into the system. All I need to do is provide th proper accounting coding which in a lot of cases is already done.

I tried Mint (actually still have an active account) for a while after MS Money disappeared. Some problems I encountered.

1. There is no check field (if you still write checks) when you enter those expenditures.

IIRC, it is more setup to be a reactive method, rather than proactive. So once the check is cashed, Mint will pull it in and you can then categorize and stuff.