RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Al_Borges

More Western Digital Deception

nrf

so they expect people buying what they think is a 5400rpm drive to read the spec sheet to see that it actually isn't and the expected benefits of quietness and lower power aren't their either. maybe we need to just turn our backs on them in general.

Trig0r

Jesus, who is making these calls at WD, someone needs a kick in the ass as someone somewhere at WD will have had to sign off on these crap ideas of late...

No wonder my new 8Tb drive is running warmer and louder than expected..

schoondoggy

When I saw this headline, I thought this may actually be a topic that I could defend WD on, it is not. RPM is not a great way to measure performance. It does directly apply to seek/latency, but throughput, sustained or burst, is heavily effected by aerial density in addition to RPM. As others have said RPM effects noise and heat/power. 

All of the issues with WD seem to be in the same category, just tell us the truth!

Trig0r

Yup, that exactly, they tell us nothing, then when they get found out they push it as a non-issue..

After the SMR/PMR/CMR thing, the vague responces I've had from the WD rep and this, I'm done done now.

nrf

when I saw 'class' I thought it was going to be like 5,000 instead of 5400 rpm, like the 43" 'class' TVs are 42+a scosh. odd behavior for sure

Al_Borges

The term  " Performance class"    was deliberately used to obfuscate in my opinion

The current data sheets  from western digital   all use this term -     so you really arent getting a specification  on rotational speed.   Its whatever WD says it is -   

what is interesting is that Newegg and Amazon  still list  "RPM" as the spec for the drive

checked seagate ironwolf and toshiba NAS  datasheets -   they list rotational speed ( toshibas 7200, Seagate 5900) in the specs and not some weasel words

oj88

I guess "InteliPower" wasn't cryptic enough.

Balrog

I just bought because of this news 4x 14TB hard disks from Seagate (Ironwolf Pro). I hope I made a good decision to going on with Seagate and not with WD anymore. My good old 4x 4TB WD Reds are more than 5 years old and I was looking for an upgrade.

Gladly the news about more "marketing speech" on WD products came just in time before my buy. :-D

• Like 2