RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Homegroups and WHS

brwd09

How does WHS play with the new Homegroups in Windows 7? I have not used them since I have the shares on WHS. Can I use the Homegroups? If so, what do I gain by using them?

WHSv1 doesn't know a diddly about homegroups. WHS 2011 fully supports it.

Homegroup is, by my understanding, just an easier way to share the... shares. Giving new computers and users access to the shares only requires typing the homegroup password.

Someone who has played around with it more please correct me :)

• 2 weeks later...

WHSv1 doesn't know a diddly about homegroups. WHS 2011 fully supports it.

Homegroup is, by my understanding, just an easier way to share the... shares. Giving new computers and users access to the shares only requires typing the homegroup password.

Someone who has played around with it more please correct me :)

Homegroup is for people who know very little about networking. It basically creates one set of rules for all users in the home group its all or nothing according to a post from Microsoft on the connect website. For version two I recommend not using the Homegroup option if you wanna have any control over who has read/write access to certain server folders.

Post regarding Homegroup breaking user permissions.

"Posted by Microsoft on 2/11/2011 at 10:16 AM

Hello,

THank you for your bug report. This behavior is indeed by design. HomeGroup is a concept introduced to help users who does not know how to set and manage permissions on share. It is basically networking for non technical users. The reason why Joining HomeGroup and managing share permissions are listed as mutually exclusive options in Home Page getting started is because the concepts for the two are mutually exclusive - one is a free for all club and the second one is a carefully controlled per user permission environment. Hope this is clear.

Regards,

Dileep "

If you can't tell I made the mistake enabling Homegroup on the v2 server.

Edited by Lurker