RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Virtual WHS v1 inside WHS2011

Dave

I was staring at the WHS2011 Dashboard and wondering what I should test next. I installed VirtualBox and then Windows Home Server version 1 inside a VM running on 2011. I must say that it's running pretty good! I gave it 1.5GB of RAM and 1TB of hard disk space, and a separate NIC via Virtualbox. It's currently downloading and installing updates. To complete the craziness I installed the connector onto the WHS2011 server. So my WHS2011 server is a computer on WHSv1 which is running on itself! This may wormhole and explode soon. Somebody check on me in an hour or so!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• geek-accountant

• timekills

I was staring at the WHS2011 Dashboard and wondering what I should test next. I installed VirtualBox and then Windows Home Server version 1 inside a VM running on 2011. I must say that it's running pretty good! I gave it 1.5GB of RAM and 1TB of hard disk space, and a separate NIC via Virtualbox. It's currently downloading and installing updates. To complete the craziness I installed the connector onto the WHS2011 server. So my WHS2011 server is a computer on WHSv1 which is running on itself! This may wormhole and explode soon. Somebody check on me in an hour or so!

That is cool. Imagine the possibilities if this doesn't explode. Could it be the best of both worlds.

Why did you use virtualbox instead of MS's solution?

VirtualBox is so freaking easy and Hyper-V will not run in 2011. I think it will run in AuroraSBS2011 though. I do have that up and running just have not messed with it yet.

I was sitting here last night thinking...could I install the V1 connector in V2 and have it backing up the server? Looks like a possibility if I wanted to do it.

Now this is cool Dave. Not sure it is a long term solution, but cool none the less!

Edited by geek-accountant

I had the same thoughts. This is was more of a "Can I do it?" type thing rather than "this is my new setup."

I haven't done any real testing with it but the connector installed. Still downloading updates. Will keep the thread informed though.

I just checked and I don't see Hyper-V on SBS2011-E. Let us know if you do find Hyper-V on it and get it up and running.

Here is the wormhole in action!

wormhole.png

I'm doing a backup of my WHS2011 server to the WHSv1 server that is running in the VM. Works like a champ! I wonder what media streaming would feel like from the VM?