RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microserver N40L/N54L Win 10 RAID import question

BenC

Hi guys, noob question probably ..

I have just replaced the OS drive in my server after it died with an SSD running win 10, the 4 3tb drives in the server were setup by an IT friend years ago and I can't remember what raid config was used.
When I looked in Disk Manager it showed all 4 drives as foreign, I went to import disk 0 and it said this disk is part of a raid 5 volume would you like to import all disks in the volume.
Clicked yes, import took place listing the drives as a raid set but also says failed on each drive - see pic -
So how do I import these drives without losing the data that's on them ? 

I should mention that I have a NAS system that also has this data on it so it's not the end of the world if it can't be done but if it can I'd appreciate any help ..

IDE config is set to AHCI and BIOS is updated to the modded version ..

Should I be changing IDE config to RAID ? And if so, in that menu the options are only RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 10, RAID READY

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by BenC
update topic

You would need to know how the array was originally created in order to restore it. The N54l offered RAID through the chipset, as you noted, choices would be RAID0, RAID1 or RAID10. As the BIOS was set to AHCI it is likely that the on board RAID was not being used. In Windows 10, it could have been configured as a software RAID or a pool using Storage Spaces. If you do not need to recover the data it may make sense to start over. Does your IT friend recall what was done?

Thanks for the reply, back before the OS died it was running windows home server 2011, so that was set up quite awhile ago ..

So win 10 loaded as an upgrade, along with the bios update (which is awesome btw)

Haven't really chatted to IT friend for ages, he's kept busy as IT support for large companies so probs won't remember either lol ..

Might be easier to start over I think ..