RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jmwills

HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 2TB

jmwills

NewEgg has them here. I have four of these coming. A review is over at Serve The Home.

Edited by HSS-Dave
Changed techbargain commission link to HSS commission link

pcdoc

Great price for 2T. I have stated away from these as they tend to run a bit hotter than the green drives. Thanks for the heads up.

JediTim

NewEgg has them here. I have four of these coming. A review is over at Serve The Home.

Do these drivers have the same issue as the WD Green drives...Advanced Format...witht he need for a jumper or can they be directly added to the pool for a WHS V1?

Tim

JediTim

Looks to be 512k sector size so they would go in v1 without needing anything additional done to them.

http://www.hitachigst.com/internal-drives/desktop/deskstar/deskstar-5k3000

So which drives would be more reliable...the WD Green which are at $99 and need to me jumpered or the Hitachi wich are $20 less. For the $20 per drive I am more concerned with long term reliability.

Tim

jmwills

I have steered away from the WD Green drives because of the issues I have read about concerning excessive head parking. I plan to RAID 5 these and go with two WD Black Caviar 500 gig drives for the OS in a RAID 1 configuration. Backup will be to external media of some sort.....just have not gotten that far ahead yet.

Unless I read that article wrong, the heat issue does not seem to be associated with this model of the drives.

With hard drives there are subjective qualities that are important. Probably the biggest is noise. First off, these drives are much quieter than the previous generation 7,200rpm drives. It is clear that slowing the rotational speed has a positive impact on heat and noise. One important factor is that the most noticeable noise comes during spin-up. When in use or spun down, the drive does not make any particularly annoying noises as sometimes come from desktop drives. Vibration is fairly low, much less so than the older 7K3000 series 2TB drives. Heat wise, after copying 1TB of data to the drive it was 8C over ambient in the Supermicro SC731i-300B chassis. That would lead me to say that it needs only some airflow if not installed in super-high density 5-in-3 enclosure type installations. As a note, I have kept three of these drives sitting in an open case next to my HTPC for a few days and they are quiet enough, and produce low enough vibration that they are well suited to small and quiet storage applications

foy1der

Great price for 2T. I have stated away from these as they tend to run a bit hotter than the green drives. Thanks for the heads up.

I just read something about drive temperature last week. Apparently according to Google's research, keeping a drive cool does not mean the drive will last longer. Quite the opposite. Drives the were warmer, about 40 to 45°C, tended to last longer.

Reference