RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Upgrade Ex475 To....... ? Ex49X

e_merlin

Hi all,

I have a dilemma I am hoping you all can help with. I have an HP EX475 that I have upgraded with some ram and installed upgraded version of software from HP.

Here comes WHS 2011 “Vail” … I am not going to go down the path of shredding it or Microsoft’s decision to steer the product in a different direction, but …. I will not be using Vail as I believe the product offers no advantage for a home user.

Things that are important to me -

- my movies server version

- moving my recorded TV from the clients to the server automatically

- drive pooling and expansion

- file duplication

- iTunes music server

I know this is general stuff - but thought it may be helpful.

So, all of that being said, should I purchase an EX490 or EX495? Would it be an upgrade form what I have now? I am mostly committed to the HP product as like the form factor and enhancements to the platform. I am not sure I really want to purchase a separate box and go through the hassle of building one…

Thanks in advance to any/all help.

To be honest, I don't think it'd be much of an upgrade to you. Going with a homebuild core i3 or, better yet, core i5 and you'd see a huge improvement over any MSS.

For the same money as a EX49x, you can buy a nice home built system as AJ says, however if since you like the HP product and like a ready made box, the EX490 is usually $100 cheaper than the EX495. Then you can spend the $100 to buy a better replacement CPU to change the single core of the EX490. However, if your not comfortable replacing the CPU than get the EX495.

Compared to the EX475 which is a single core CPU, the EX490 modified or the EX495 is a dual core and will definately run faster. :) It is also quieter, that could be a big plus if you have the box on your desk. It supports a 5 bay Esata box where the EX47x only supports a 4 bay box.

John.

Thanks for reply - the 495 sounds like a turn key solution - although I am not opposed to swapping the processor on the 490...

Will I see a huge performance improvement from something like an i3 server build?

Sounds like I should consider building one.... I will search the site and see what others have done. If you have some links please pass them along.

Also - are hot swappable bays something I should worry about? I assume a case like that carries a big premium.

Thanks again.

To be honest, I don't think it'd be much of an upgrade to you. Going with a homebuild core i3 or, better yet, core i5 and you'd see a huge improvement over any MSS.

I am in absolute agreement with building your own WHS. I am in the planning process of building a new server to replace my agin homebuilt and believe thiws is a better way to go. The total cost for me at this point is around $1,000 with 9TB of drives.

usacomp2k3: I plan on going with an i3...would I see a benefit to getting an i5?

Considering HP discontinued their MSS line I can't imagine any new developments down the line and you maybe limited. It isn't difficult to build...I took most of the parts list based on pcdoc's builds.

Thanks for reply - the 495 sounds like a turn key solution - although I am not opposed to swapping the processor on the 490...

Will I see a huge performance improvement from something like an i3 server build?

Sounds like I should consider building one.... I will search the site and see what others have done. If you have some links please pass them along.

Also - are hot swappable bays something I should worry about? I assume a case like that carries a big premium.

Thanks again.

My planned build:

- Case: Cooler Master HAF 932- $140

- MB: Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3(8 SATA ports) - $120

- Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-750TX- $100

- CPU: Intel i3-550- $130

- Memory - Corsair XMS3 4GB (2 x2GB) - $48

- System Drive - WD Black 1TB - $150

- Pool Drives - 4x WD Green 2 TB @ $99 each

- DVD Drive - recycled

- Software - WHS (TechNet Subscription)

• 2 weeks later...

I just signed up after reading this and debating the same question. I have a I3 550. that I payed $109 for on sale but haven't opened yet, I was debating, get the

ZOTAC H55ITX-C-E LGA

or

GIGABYTE GA-H55N

Mini itx motherboard For the Lian Li PC-Q08B case and run server 2011, or take it back and Waite for the new sandybridge I3 to come out,

since it will be on 24/7 to serve media to my PS3 XBox 360 Samsung TV and Macbook, I want something that won't consume a lot of power and saw that the I3 on an itx board is only using 50W which is only 5w more then the Acer WHS I was originally looking, or is this way overboard for my needs.