RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help with MS Gen10 Plus PCIe NVMe

Hi All,

I've got a HP Elite Desk Mini which has a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB NVMe & a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe, both of these drives are overkill for the machine (it really only needs a 120GB drive for the OS as all storage is stored on the server anyway) but in a previous life it was used as a CCTV machine.  

Its occurred to me that these drives could be better put to use in the PCI-E slot of my Gen10 Plus (250GB OS, 1TB for VMs) if indeed that is possible. I don't understand this whole bifurcation thing though, baring in mind I'm in the UK, would anyone be able to point me in the right direction of if this is possible and what card I would need to be looking at?

Thanks in advance,

Gareth 

schoondoggy

That card is sold be several vendors, Startech, Ablecom, Addonics and Lycom. The specs show it has a PCIe switching chip on it, so you should not need to do anything with bifurcation. I have not seen anyone test the card in a Gen10 Plus yet. They were discussed here:

Yes it seems to be a suitable fit, its just a question of whether i’ll pushing the power cap with everything else in the system or not. 

I'm going to see if I can accurately measure the power consumption of the server under load and will go from there, but in an ideal world i'd like to add the Lycom and the two NVMe drives.