RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Trig0r

Drives of choice

Trig0r

So, we've had a good run me and the custom built server, but I've been meaning to start swapping out drives as some of the drives in the server are now knocking on 5 years of on time..

Well today I got an alert email from Scanner, turns out one of the drives, granted its only a 2Tb Red, has developed a current pending sector, so I dropped on using Splashtop and Drivepool was also moaning, but about a missing drive...

Soooo, what are the drives of choice, the dying drive is only 2Tb but thinking 6/8Tb to replace it with and give me the space to start shuffling the old drives out a bit faster.

I could shuck, I could buy new, but given how WD have been with the whole SMR/CMR I'd be tempted to go down the Ironwolf route...

Whats everyone else doing?

I think I'm also going to stick an additional SSD in my server at the same time as swapping the 2tb out and giving Drivepool an SSD cache drive, only 250Gb (maybe 500 or 750, dunno yet, depends how the caching works and if size really matters)

Al_Borges
Posted (edited)

when the whole WD red smr/cmr controversy hit the fan a few months ago,    I swore off buying another WD red drive again.

now that time has passed,   I've mellowed a bit -   WD RED's still perform well  and as far as I can tell -  the manufacturing types werent responsible -  just the business/marketing asshats.   SMR drives do have a place in the drive lineup  

That being said,    If I were to set up a new array, I would strongly consider Toshiba N300 NAS drives -    competitively priced with the Reds

Several on this forum, including Schoondoggy has vouched for them

Also -   losing an entire array on a resilver is my nightmare scenario -     going forward, I would consider either  Raid 10  or going back to drivepool.   

Edited by Al_Borges

Trig0r

If I can pick up a decent WD drive and shuck it, then I have no issues doing that, if the drive is right, I did read that certain drive capacities are where the SMR/CMR drives split, iirc its the smaller drives that are SMR..

As above, I'm probably going to stick an SSD in the server as a cache drive, that, and using Drivepool should in theory get me around any issues that the RAID users hit when they rebuild arrays.

schoondoggy

I am still having good luck buying used and refurb drives. 4TB SAS for $35 each and 6TB SAS for $70 each, mostly Hitachi. I am sure I will get burned at some point, as 4TB and 6TB drives are getting older and used ones will have more hours on them.

Trig0r

Yeah I was thinking about going down the used route, but think I'd rather shuck a new drive than use an old one, both are going to be warranty less though I guess..

Trig0r

So, here in the UK there's either 8Tb MyBook or Elements drives for £156, or a 12Tb Elements for £186..

Looks like I'm going down the shucking route, i would presume at 8Tb> I'm going to be looking at CMR, white label Reds?

Trig0r

So, the Elements drive dropped to £135 so I picked one up, its got a WD80EDAZ drive in it, seems to be a bi short on info on the old Google but looks like its an SMR drive, so that'll be going back..

schoondoggy

Datahoader on REDDIT has the most info on shucked drives. I have not read much, but some are saying this is not SMR:

Trig0r

Cheers, I'll have a read later, just off to walk the dog..

It does get rather warm, had it on for 2 hours on the desk in the office, and its hit 52oC...

Trig0r

Just flagged a temp warning at 55oC, its nearly 11pm so not exactly warm here, all I'm doing it copying files to it for the last 2 hours..

Not sure if its actually worth shucking or just sending it back..

Have noticed that its a lot louder than my MyBook 2Tb desktop drive as well, granted thats one of the old WD Green drives but still..